Does anyone know how to make jira attachment links public?

We want the ability to share attachment links with people outside the organization.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

The attachments in Jira belong to the issues, and hence are subject to the same security and permissions.

To make them available to people outside your organisation, you'll need to expose the issue to those people - this can be done by making the issues available to anyone. But it really does mean anyone.

You've got other options, but they all need a bit of work. I've seen attachments made available (read only) on a file share with a script that allows the share system to serve up the file without having to dig through it. You can use plugins to attach and send attachments to non-Jira users via email, although that might not be as good as a file store as theyre a snapshot and could become obsolete. You could mirror some/all of the attachments into another system - I'm thinking of a Confluence macro I saw that would put some fields from a Jira issue into a page, and it would include the attachment in-line.

So, you've got options, but you need to do some thinking about what you publish to whom, and then work on how you'd ideally like to get the attachments to your external users.

Bear in mind that all of these are potential security leaks - you're sending stuff to people and bypassing the access controls in Jira. Not a problem for most people, but something you need to consider before allowing it (Even if the answer is "meh, it's fine for anyone to see this stuff", you need to be able to demonstrate that you've considered it)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Magic Eyes

...staring into the background. Once the image pops out in 3D, you can look around the picture and enjoy. If you will see if you are a true illusion master! :) You did it? :) Wow! Awesome! As a bonus...

410 views 79 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you