Copy user-group-permission from one JIRA instance to another

Rumceisz January 9, 2012

Hi,

I have 2 different JIRA and one will be migrated to the other. I have to migrate all the spaces users and groups to the new instance.

I'd like to ask you for help how could I copy the user-group-permission structure, i.e. don't need to grant the permissions and group one by one in the new instance.

Can this user-group-permission structure be export to an xml?

I would like to spare the time because there ar about 300 users, 40 groups....

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Rumceisz

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Kirby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2012

Is the second Jira brand new or does it already have data? What version of Jira are you using? Are you shutting down the source Jira?

If the second Jira is brand new there are 2 options that come to mind:

1. Yes, you could export the entire Jira instance as XML and the import it in the new instance. This will entirely clone the second Jira instance.

2. You could also do this with SQL. What version of Jira are you using? In Jira 4.3 and later all the user management data are stored in tables that start with CWD_. You could dump the DML SQL for those tables and recreate it in the second Jira's database.

If the second Jira has data alread and needs to keep it and you're leaving the first Jira online and we're talking about Jira 4.3 or later, you could delegate all user management and authentication for your second Jira to the first Jira using the built-in Crowd in Jira.

Rumceisz January 9, 2012

Hi,

the second JIRA is not new: it has already data. I can migrate 300 users one by one, but I also have to create the groups for them and the user-group mapping too. Because my JIRA is connected to Confluence and I grant the permissions to Confluence Spaces via groups, then it's also gonna be a long term to give the permissions for each groups.

The source Confluence's version is 3.0.2, the new one 3.5.13.

I moved all the spaces from the source system, I can copy all the users and groups from the source system but the user-group mapping I don't want to do one by one.

Can you give me some trick?

Many thanks!!

Rumceisz

Suggest an answer