Configuring problems - JIRA standalone installer on windows

Radha Dakshinamurthy August 22, 2012

Hi

I am configuring JIRA Windows Installer 64bits version; Below is the summary of environment info.

i5 system;16 mem RAM; Win-7 Home premium; JIRA 4.2.1.b.588 version; installed successfully

Facing problems in JIRA wizard setup 1 of 3; Below is the error: Can somebody point to the right direction please.

Could not activate indexing: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -11
Indexes:

The indexes will be placed here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\caches\indexes

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

I think the directories beneath C:\Program Files (x86) are not writable by programs without admin privileges - so it would be better to place the Jira Application Data somewhere else!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2012

I suspect Thomas has nailed the core problem

There's a couple of other things I'd mention - in the long run, it would be a VERY good idea to have a dedicated and obvious place for your Jira data. Ideally, you also want to place the index on the fastest file system you can. It will work anywhere, but if you have the option to whack it on to a separate partition or even disk, do it.

I'd also avoid having spaces in your directory names. Older versions of Jira certainly didn't like it (it's more a Java thing than Jira, but still) and I don't know about newer ones. I've seen a couple of plugins that couldn't handle it too (even if the Jira they were in was working fine).

Finally, to fix your problem, once you've addressed permissions and possibly location of the index, all you need to do is re-index - even if your index is just damaged, a rebuild will give you a nice clean one. There's no need to worry about recovering it, it's all based on data copied from the database.

Suggest an answer