Configure notifications: One one email per ticket until next view

hi,

major annoyance with JIRA ist for me that it sends out too many emails.

I am aware or the notifications schemes BUT what I'd like JIRA to do is not in there (or is it?): Can I set up Jira to send me a notifiaction if something has changed in a watched ticket, but only ONE notification, no matter how many changes are done to the ticket after that.

This should reset when I was online in that ticket - so the next change after that again triggers one email.

the schemes do not seem to have this - but is there a Plugin for that?

Redmine has this out of the box, and I really miss it! THX

2 answers

0 vote
Sam Hall Community Champion May 09, 2017

You are right that the notification schemes don't support what you want.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1369 is pretty much the definitive thread on this area. There are a lot of comments, but in amongst there you'll find some suggestions for add-ons that might help you.

For what it's worth, my personal experience is that I don't bother with email notifications much. I either use a mailbox rule to file them away or turn them off.

I find I can use dashboards and filters to keep track of issues I am interested in (an example being a filter which shows all issues I am watching that have been updated in the last 24hrs - note it's possible to subscribe to a filter like this to get a digest-style email every morning). 

thank you for your reply and info. I'll have a look.

This really is a bummer though: To have a core feature where experience users recomend that it can be improved by switching it off is a pretty hefty sign for something worth being changed IMO.

And given that email-notification play such a vital role in any redmine-enviroment there ARE some hints wht might be broken...

I used four community / ticket solutions in the past: vbulletin, xenforo, redmine and Jira. Three of those out of the box are able to send emails "a change XY has happened, THERE MIGHT BE CHANGES AFTER THAT" stop.

what a total dissapointment!!!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

467 views 6 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you