Can you create a checklist within a sub-task?

A developer asked if he could create a checklist for his task within a story. Is this possible to configure? If not, is this feature in the backlog for a future release?

9 answers

1 accepted

copy and paste into a description box the following and see if that is what you want.

# first item
# second item
## second item - first subitem

Save the description.

Assuming that is what you want, there is suppose to be a circle with a question mark below the description or comment box when you are editing. Click on lists to see more list choices.

You can edit the description and add a complete text to it.

The symbol that looks like a box is the preview button.

Are you asking if there is any formatting commands to make a list? If so, click on the help icon where you are entering text. It should show you all the various formatting commands. Jira is still using the old way of formatting text using embedded commands.

I am not sure what you are referring to as the "help" icon.

The developer literally wants a checklist where you check off items he needed to do for a task.

Why not use sub-tasks?

Sorry, NM - your description said "task" but your title says "sub-task". Misunderstood what you were asking for! :)

You could work with linked issues, but it's currently not possible to put sub-tasks in sub-tasks.

I don't know if this is in the development pipeline.

That is a bummer.

Vote for this task. So it can be added

Alternatively, you can switch from sub-tasks to the checklist for light requirements. 

Issue Checklist add-on delivers lightweight checklist implementation for Jira Cloud.

Hi Veronica,

You can try creating checklists from sub-tasks using Smart Checklist Jira plugin:

If you have any additional questions about the plugin, please let me know!

Hi @Olga Rusnak, please see our guidelines for marketplace vendors, particularly this section:

No spamming: Although you are welcome to offer your plugin as a solution when appropriate, this doesn't mean posting links everywhere that you can find. In general, avoid resurrecting old threads (a year or more old) simply to promote your plugin. 

Hi @Monique van den Berg, thanks for pointing out the guidelines for marketplace vendors! I do find it very useful and will make sure to avoid commenting on the old threads.

No problem @Olga Rusnak! I hope they help you find good ways to engage the community :) 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted yesterday in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

50 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot