Can't delete user with assigned closed tickets

T September 13, 2012

Hi,

I'm not able to delete a user with closed tickets assigned to them. And Bulk Change doesn't let me migrate the tickets to another user. Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2012

No, you destroy your data integrity if you delete the user when they are a reporter or assignee.

Bulk change is probably blocking your change because the "do not edit" flag is set on the closed status on your issues. You have four basic options:

1. Reopen the issues, reassign them, reclose them

2. Modify the workflow so that the "do not edit" flag is not on the closed status

3. Modify the workflow to add a transition from Closed to Closed, and goes through a screen with the assignee on. Bulk-edit can transition those, and you can change the assignee

4. Forget it - inactivate the dead user, remove them from all groups and roles, and move on. They won't apply to your license limits and you don't need to go amending user data, and best of all, you get to keep all the user information from where they commented/updated etc (with a deleted user, all you get in the history is a user login name)

(2 and 3 require workflow edits, but both can be done in draft mode)

Luke Timms March 10, 2015

I dont understand why users can't be removed and leave the data intact, seems crazy to leave deactivated users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2015

Seems crazy to destroy information about the users, especially if you work in a regulated industry where you can go to jail for destroying audit trails of who did what.

Suggest an answer