Can I rename a JIRA workflow (and a JIRA workflow scheme)?

Karl Roth January 30, 2014

When in edit mode for a workflow I don't seem to be allowed to edit its name. Same applies to workflow schemes names.

Am I missing something?

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

You cannot edit the name of the workflow or its scheme. If you want to rename it, you need to make a copy of it and rename it and apply that workflow to the right workflow scheme.

If you want to rename a workflow scheme, its the same procedure, just make a copy of it and rename it. But here, you need to manually go to each project and change its workflow scheme.

Rahul

Karl Roth January 30, 2014

Thanks, Rahul.

Just as I thought

Best regards. Karl.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Now (I guess since JIRA 7.0.0) it's possible to rename the Workflow Scheme. On the edit scree:

image2017-1-18 14:45:19.png

For Workflows you can edit only descriptions and Copy procedure is still needed to change the name.

Ingvar Örn November 30, 2017

When I copy Workflow Scheme (Jira 7.3.0) I don't get a pop-up window (like when copying Workflow) to give it a new name. The new scheme just gets created under the name "Copy of ..." and no chance of giving it a different name

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2017

You can edit name for Workflow Schemes although it's not very intuitive.

Click edit, then click the name and it goes to edit mode.

Screenshot from 2017-11-30 10-49-25.png

Like # people like this
Ingvar Örn November 30, 2017

Thanks, works for me :-). Perhaps this is shown in the .png file in your reply 01.18.17 which appears to me as text, not link.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2017

YAW. The image was not migrated from the old answers portal :).

Kiruthika April 25, 2019

Renaming Workflow scheme is easy as shown in above screen shot.

But I see no option to rename an active Workflow.

Make a copy ->  Rename it when in Inactive state -> associate this new renamed workflow to the scheme.. 

Like # people like this
40 votes
Franky Deleu March 4, 2015

Please guys, make it easer to just rename an existing workflow...

It's just about a name, so I don't understand the current method for changing the name of an existing workflow.

Olivier BOUSQUET November 20, 2020

+1 (000)

7 votes
carlos lugo May 13, 2019

Yet another item on the LONG LONG list of stupid Jira issues that Atlassian consistently ignores.

3 votes
Peter Wise September 25, 2020

I too cannot understand why Atlassian just ignores the simple things, which would make our lives so much easier. I am forced to work with Jira and Confluence, but at almost every step I have to google the simplest of tasks. It takes all the pleasure from the work and makes me hate what could be a really fantastic tool.

Victor-charles Scafati March 23, 2021

Amen, brother!

0 votes
miriam-hopton January 17, 2017

I agree - please give access to rename, super simple (you would think).

0 votes
Sven Behrens March 7, 2016

+1 for the suggestion of Franky Deleu

Suggest an answer