Can I create custom fields at the project-level? Is there a plug-in avaliable to allow me to do it?

Joseph Faill July 1, 2012

We need to create custom fields within the project information section. This is not the same as the Key and numbers for individual issues. We have numerous projects, each containing a few issues (which are already identified by the Key and number system). But, we need to be able to create a custom number for each project itself to help us keep track of them. Is this possible to do in JIRA 5.0? If not, are there any avaliable pulg-ins that allows us to do this?

3 answers

1 vote
Patrick van der Rijst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014
Joe_Hardin August 31, 2016

Again, this is not what the asker was looking for. Project level, not issue level. 

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

You cannot add customfields on project creation screen .

You can add a metadata to your project using this plugin

In your case the metadata will be a number by which you will be identifying your projects.

How do I make this metadata appear in the summary of the project? So far it only has its own tab 2 tabs down from the summary tab. I want to add a new field into the summary tab. I want the field to be titled "Project ID" and be visible in the Description box. How do I do that?

I want it to look like this when I'm done. I want a product ID space right there. (I used MS paint to do this to show you what I am looking for).

I want that space to be a default text renderer of >255 characters.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

For the field to appear as shown above you will have to modify the Jira source code , A better option would be to create your own plugin which will provide a facility to add the product id to your project and display it on the summary tab of the project .

You can use active objects to store this product id , a project tab panel where project admin can add the project id and a Web fragment plugin module to display this on the summary tab.

Well I can't create my own plug-in. I am just an intern. Seeing as how we are only testing JIRA out to see if it will be useful, it would be a waste of time trying to create our own plug-in.

Custom fields were avaliable in previous versions of JIRA. Why would they get rid of that option?

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2012

Few months back even i was an intern .

Customfields can be added only on the issue screens and not for a Project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2012

Yes, you're mixing up "custom fields", which are done at an issue level (and always have been, at least since I started with 2.x of Jira, so nothing has been "got rid of") and the project level stuff which is a fixed list.

Custom fields are configured on a project level - you associate them with projects (and issue types), but you're not really saying "this field belongs to this project", it's actually "this field belongs to issues within this project".

The metadata plugin adds the ability to have data stored at a project level (I try not to call them "fields" myself, simply to try to avoid exactly the confusion you have run into)

Joseph Faill July 2, 2012

That you for the passive aggressive grammar lesson. I found out how to change the project key's format so that it will accept numbers. But I don't know exactly what to type if I want letters in it too. I set it to say ([0-9]+). But I need it so it can be 2-3 letters plus numbers.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2012

You can change the

<installation_directory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties

Search for "project key settings" then replace the original line with the below line

jira.projectkey.pattern = ([A-Z][A-Z]+) to jira.projectkey.pattern = ([09A-Z][A-Z0-9]+)

This will make the project key field alpha numeric

Ankit Asati May 23, 2015

Hi Joseph, Can you please guide me how could you add the Field at Project Level (In your case to the Summary Tab). I need to add one filed to the Versions tab. Would be extrmely helpful if you can guide me! Thanks a lot!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

If you are on JIRA OnDemand, you can't install custom plugins. There is no way to add custom fields at project level in onDemand.

What is the difference between OnDemand and Download?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

onDemand is the hosted version of JIRA provided by Atlassian. They have policies on what plugins are installed.

Other, downloaded, version is what you install yourself and manage. You can customize it to your heart's content because you "own" the instance.

So if I'm logging in online to use JIRA, I am most likely using the OnDemand version?

I'm not sure if I should be handing it out. What am I looking for in the url to tell wether or not it's OnDemand?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

What is your JIRA url?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

You should have atlassian.net in the end.

It does not say that at the end. It starts with an NADC, a few more letters and numbers, a /secure, and ends in a .jspa.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

When I say ends with, I mean the base url ends with! Never mind, looks like yours is a downloaded version. Are you an admin? Who manages your jira?

I have administrator permissions. We are currently testing JIRA to see if it will be useful for what we do. Do you know a plug-in that would work?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

You might want to look at this. I haven't used it, so not sure.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1210816

Suggest an answer