Automatically calculated due date

Karol Zdaniewicz November 6, 2013

Is it possible and with which tool (extension) to have due date calculated automatically, based on time estimation of an isue and/or activity?

eg. I have 2 issues, one estimated for 8h, second for 16h. Which gives 3days. If the second task starts with the end of the first one, it is fairly easy for the system to give exact due date. Also, if one of the tasks will receive less hours logged, the due date could be automatically updated.

Seems easy and useful, but haven't found any tool I could use (apart from writing scripts which I'm not capable of).

4 answers

1 vote
SHANAVASH MOHAMED May 3, 2018

i was thinking you are looking automatically updated due date. I found some solution for power script plugin. I have shred the YouTube link for End date automatically updated in Create an issue with +10 working days. Maybe its helpful. 

URL : https://youtu.be/YQkLeGxoa0A?t=272

I hide the  “DAY”  Custom-field for => Create issue, Edit issue and View issue Screens,

1 vote
SHANAVASH MOHAMED October 31, 2017

I was thinking you were looking automatically updated due date 

I shared One you tube link : https://youtu.be/YQkLeGxoa0A?t=319 

Please check.

0 votes
Swati Kahol
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2020

Hey @Karol Zdaniewic 

We have recently published a kb article to add Orginal estimate to a date field using Automation for Jira. Hope this helps :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/automate-due-date-of-an-issue-from-original-estimate-1021245282.html

Thanks
Swati

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

If you have 2 issues with different estimates, where is the due date stored? Do you mean 2 subtasks and the due date is stored on the parent issue?

You can look at Scripted fields to populated calculated values but you will have to write the scripts based on the logic. Or write a calculated custom field yourself.

It could work for subtasks as well. So if you have the relation when the second task starts with the end of the first one, due dates of both of these tasks should change. Because any change in estimation/activity level of the first task will affect its due date, and at the same time move the due date of the second one.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

How will you relate these issues? If estimate changes on one issue, does it affect due date of all the other issues in the project?

Well, that's the question. How can I do such relation (either between issues or tasks) within a project. So the point is, I have a project where tasks are related in such way that every second starts with the end of the previous one, and I need to get dates of completion for each of the tasks (where the dates should be updated with any change in either of the tasks).

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

I was thinking you were looking for a technical answer but seems you haven't figured out the business side of it as well. Relation can be based on issue links and/or subtask links. I would thinks Issue Links will work better for you because you have Tasks that needs to be related.

A new link type like "dependant on" might work. You still ahve to develop the plugin that will adjust the due dates.

Suggest an answer