Administration problem -> Added users are not available when i want to assign an issue

Andreas Milinski July 17, 2012

I just setup a new jira project, designed a new workflow. Now i would like to test it. I created an issue and i would like to assign it to another user. The assignigment dialog appears, but the dropdownlist contains none of the users i have added to jira. All the users have the necessary roles and groups (jira-user and jira-developer). What is missing???

2 answers

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

If all the users have the Assignable permission and the users also appear as you start typing the name you should read this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/64162/display-all-users-when-assinging-an-issue-to-an-other-person

If the users do not appear while you type their name it's very like the users do not have the "Assignable" permission

Hi guys,

I got it. Puh ... It was my fault, or my different understanding how a drop down box should work. When i open a drop down box, i expected a list of all assignable users. Is it "old scool" thinking? ;) If i start typing, then the relevant users appears.

Thankx for your powerful support. It was not a waste of time! I'm know an expert in "browse user permissions". ;)

Good speed!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

Do you have the right to "browse users", set in the global permissions? (I think it might be set by default, and hence you probably do, but it's worth checking this, just to rule it out)

Hi Nic,

thanx for your support. I checked the global permissions, and all jira-developers have the permission to browse users. A extend the permission "browse user" to everyone. But the result is the same. Any other ideas?

Additional hints: I created the issue in the role/group jira-administrator.

If i create an additional issue using another account with role/group jira-user plus jira-developer, only the adminstrator appears in the list of the assignable users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

Ok, that's a start, I think you've misunderstood the global permission. In order for a list of potential assignees to show, the person DOING the assigning must have "browse users". This explains what you're seeing now, if I've read your testing correctly. You have this:

• jira-developers has the right to "browse users" set in global permissions
  • When you use an account that does NOT belong to jira-developers, you get no list
  • When you use an account that IS in the group jira-developers, you are shown the "administrator"

If my summary is correct, then you've almost ruled out the global permission - you'll need to extend it to other groups if you want it to function for everyone - adding "jira users" in there is a standard way to do it, assuming you want all your users to be able to browse the users list.

The fact "administrator" is now offered implies that everything is actually working correctly and you need to look at the permission scheme - who is in the "assignable user" permission for the project? I suspect you'll find it's only your administrator account for some reason. Don't mix this up with the "can assign issues" permission - they are separate.

Suggest an answer