cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsGenie Incidents as Jira tickets

Hendrik Moens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2022

Hi,

For our OpsGenie use case, I'm looking into how I can create Jira tickets associated with OpsGenie incidents when they are created.

I'm aware that integrations exist that work with alerts (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Opsgenie-questions/How-to-create-automaically-an-issue-when-an-incident-is-created/qaq-p/1664670), but for our use case it doesn't make sense to have jira tickes for those as alerts come from many sources and can sometimes be too noisy. Incidents, on the other hand, must be added to our Jira for tracability.

I understand that in the worst case, it should be possible to DIY some kind of script that periodically syncs incidents to Jira, though that would obviously be my least preferred option. Are there any way we can use an existing integration in this case? Is there some other setup that would work for our use case?

1 answer

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Hendrik Moens,

This is Darryl. I am here to help. 😃

Understand that you would like to know if there is any way to automatically link Opsgenie Incidents with Jira tickets.

Unfortunately, this is not feasible directly and as you mentioned, you can craft your own script to accomplish that.

However, the reason behind this logic is that Opsgenie Incident itself doesn't trigger any notifications, instead, it leverages the creation of Responder Alerts to trigger the notifications to the Users/Teams that are listed as Responders.

In the best practice, we recommend only filling in the wanted teams as Responder Teams upon the Opsgenie Incident creation, and configure the Filter of your Jira integration to match only the Responder Alerts to be pushed to create Jira issues.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 17.00.21.png

In this way, there will be only the Responder Alerts pushed to your Jira Tickets and they carry the information of the Opsgenie Incident.

Suggestion

Background

Every responder alerts have the key-value pair in the Extra Properties to represent the relationship with an Opsgenie Incident:

"incident-alert-type": "Responder"

We can leverage this.

Settings On Jira integration

Adjust the "Alert Filter" to be like this to locate the Responder Alerts.:

"Match all conditions below"
"Details (Key-Value Based)" | "incident-alert-type" | "Contains" | "Responder"

Last, here I attach a short-paragraph document regarding the Incident Responder for your reference.

Hope this helps. 😃

Kind regards,
Darryl Lee
Support Engineer, Atlassian

Hendrik Moens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 15, 2022

I suppose that approach might work, though linking directly to the incident would still fit our use case better (it's basically the incident comments and timeline that we'd like in the Jira issue).

Looking at the 'Add issue creation rule' in the opsgenie integration, I'm not seeing the option to match based on key-values (the closest I can get is 'Details Contains Responder). How can I match on Key-Value?

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 20-08-00 Opsgenie - Integration.png

For completeness, you mention that "you can craft your own script to accomplish that". Are there any tools with Jira / Opsgenie we could leverage for this, or would this just be a standalone script that we trigger outside of atlassian that uses the OpsGenie / Jira API?

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2022

Hi @Hendrik Moens ,

I just tested this. 

This new framework's filter matches the string in the Extra properties (Details) regardless its Key or Value.

So, my suggestion is to make it match the string "Responder" like this:

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 13.28.33.png

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darryl Lee
Support Engineer, Atlassian

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events