How do I change my email address in Jira

bill January 5, 2020

I went to my Atlassian Account | email page and changed my email address. It sent an email to my old email address which said:

Hi bill

You recently changed your email address in your Atlassian account. To confirm the change please check <new email address> to verify it's really you and complete the update.

Cheers,
The Atlassians

I then logged out and back in to Jira using my old email address and password and it was fine. However it would still not accept my password when trying to change the email address. Finally it informed me I had changed my email address too many times (I hadn't managed to change it at all) and I was prevented to change the email address for 24 hours.I checked the mail in my new email address and opened the email and clicked on the button that said "Verify my email address". It asked me for my password. I entered my Jira password but it would not accept it. I tried this a couple of times but with no luck.

Am I supposed to create a user with the new email address so I can change to this email address? I am totally confused here and would appreciate some advice.

3 answers

0 votes
Milenko Maletić August 7, 2021

Sorry guys, but step 3... I receive mail on my new email with verify email link that redirects me to:

Confirm the update of your email address to... 

with "PASSWORD" field... 

What kind of password I need to type in here?! My new email password, Jira, Pentagon, CIA...?!

I tried everything and get incorrect password message every time.

So frustrating for that kind of SIMPLY action, such as change email.

Thank you for understanding.

Milenko.

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Hello @bill

Did you receive an e-mail in your asking you to 'Verify' the account transfer? It should have been the normal process in this scenario:

1. configure your account with the new email address
  2. visit you new email inbox
  3. verify the transfer through the received email
  4. access Jira with you new email
bill January 10, 2020

Hi Fernando 

Yes I did receive an email but the procedure that they told me to follow is pretty long and complicated so I'm just working around the problem at the moment.

Cheers 

Bill

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2020

Hi bill, 

Please raise a ticket on https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ so that we can assist you. 

When selecting "What can we help you with", please select My account > Update account contact details. 

Suggest an answer