When I create a new issue in my next-gen Kanban project, how can it go to Board by default

Terri Paik April 30, 2020

We are using a next-gen Kanban board and just enabled the Backlog feature so that we could clear some of the clutter off of our board. Now we find that when we create new issues (using the + on the left nav bar) they go into the Backlog instead of going on the Board. 

Based on https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-the-backlog/ it seems that this is by design?? 

"When you enable the backlog:

• Any new issues created through the + Create icon in the global navigation bar will appear in your backlog."

However, we would really like new issues to go to the Board by default. Clicking the "+ Create issue" on the Board itself does add the issue to the board, but that UI for adding an issue is very limited and doesn't let us set all the fields. So we prefer to use the + on the left bar. Is there a way to configure my board so that new issues go to the Board by default? 

1 answer

0 votes
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2020

Hello @Terri Paik

Could I ask what you are using the backlog for if you want all issues created to appear on the Kanban board? 

You mentioned you enabled the backlog feature because you wanted to clear off clutter. What is the clutter?   

Thanks,

Danny

Terri Paik May 4, 2020

When we think of a new task that's needed, it's often something that needs to be done in the current release cycle (which is what our Board represents). My rough estimate is that 75% of new tickets are intended to be looked at in the current release, and 25% might be intended for the backlog to begin with. Over time, we triage items and defer some to a later release, at which point we'd like to move the items from Board to Backlog. So we'd prefer if newly created items default to the Board, and if we want to add to Backlog we do so by using "+ Create issue" in the Backlog view. 

Thanks,

Terri

Suggest an answer