Managing component versions

Yarden Cohen January 24, 2020

Hello.

I am working on a project with 4 different (Hardware, firmware, software, etc) teams.
In order to manage the issues I have decided to create one project with a component indicating which team the issue is relevant for.

The outcome of each team is versioned differently (sometimes we update the firmware version, sometimes the software version), and I was wondering -
Is there a way to manage release versions for a project, along with versions for each of the components for the same project?

Just to add more context, each team has their own board for managing their issues

---

Edit:

The ideal solution for me will allow me to see all of the issues related to a fix version of the project in one screen.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2020

Hi @Yarden Cohen

Just to check - this is in the Next-Gen Cloud section with tags for Jira Server? Is it Server you're referring to here?

By default, Jira doesn't have component versions - versions are specific to a project.

You'd need to consider an add-on for this - such as:

Or if you're using Cloud, you could consider an app like Version Manager for Jira Cloud.

For reference, this has been a longstanding feature request since 2004. Server's request - JRASERVER-3501 - was closed as "Won't Do" in 2017. Cloud's request - JRACLOUD-3501 - remains open.

Ste

Yarden Cohen January 28, 2020

Thank you for your reply.
Was referring to Jira Server.

This methodology does not work for my organization yet I think I will open it in a discussion.

Thank you for your help.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2020

No worries :) - if there's something specific you can mention about what you need around methodology, happy to try and find any other alternative!

Ste

Yarden Cohen February 1, 2020

Opened a discussion after gathering a bit more information:

Managing different teams with different projects .

Would appreciate you joining in.

Suggest an answer