It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to manage multiple teams in one project?

My company runs currently 6 different projects. Besides that, we have 8 different teams (backend, frontend, design, marketing, animations, video, management, content)

Let's take only one project for example. How can I create one project, fill its backlog with issues and assign them to different teams? I would like to have different sprint for each team separately, but inside same project. And also I would like to have Project based Kanban board that would hold all issues in one place. 

Shortly, I fill backlog with issues, and then start to assign them to different sprints (based on which team they belong), but also they appear in Kanban board. 

Is this possible? I would appreciate step by step explanation.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted

Hi everyone, 

I want to thank you for the effort about this problem. Your responses helped a bit, but I managed to create workflow by myself after lots YT clips, and forum posts.

Here is what I did:

- Created project with Scrum board in classic view

- Created one Master Board, and different boards for each team in that project

- Created Component with the name of each team so that I can filter by those components

- Went to each board settings and added filter query by Components, and selected component for each board

- Configured each issue to have Component drop down menu right bellow reporter for smoother experience

- Assigned each issue a component label

This way you have one master backlog, and separate team backlogs. When you start teams sprints, you will see sprints separately on each team board, and one Master sprint on main board.

Hope this helps everyone.

Hi @lukaloncar - Try using Project Components.  This will allow you to associate each team with a Component.  Then you can set the component(s) on each issue.  You can then configure the filter for each team's board to show only issues that have that team's component assigned to it or use swim-lanes on one board to visually distinguish the different teams work.

This is not a feature of Next-Gen though correct?

Can you please tell me this... How can I create different teams?

@Tyler Coil - Correct.  You would need to add a custom field with the team names in a next-gen project.

if you do that though, there is no way to filter those cards in the epic/backlog/board views though, correct?

I'm also running into this problem where 3 team members only care about X type of cards, and another 2 only care about Y type. And it seems you can only filter off Epic and Issue Type, which doesn't work for our workflow currently.

Thinking about migrating back to a classic approach, but this question is very relevant to me in the moment 

I agree you should consider using a classic Jira Software project.  It seems you need the versatility that next-gen doesn't yet support.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Keyboard shortcuts have arrived for next-gen projects!

...ollected feedback from users around the lack of shortcuts, and we’re here to address that: In next-gen projects, I miss the keyboard shortcuts badly. This is particularly true on the Board, but also i...

150 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you