How to bulk move issues to another project

Josh Pike October 19, 2018

From the backlog view, you can click on an individual issue, and in the details sidebar, click the [...] button to "Move" the issue to another project.

This option is not available from the [...] button on the backlog list view, with multiple issues selected (where you can move to top or bottom of backlog, for instance).

Is there a way to bulk move issues from one project to another in the next-gen jira?

7 answers

2 accepted

31 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2018

Hello Josh,

Yes, there is a way to do that.

• Go to the Advanced search view and search for issues to move
  • Select the options button (3 dots in top-right corner) > Bulk Change...
  • Select the issues you'd like to perform the bulk operation on, and select Next.
  • Select Move Issues, and select Next.

More details here

Josh Pike October 20, 2018

Thank you! I didn't realize how many more actions were possible from the search results!

Jamie Leinen November 27, 2018

Hi Tuncay,

I don't see the tools menu in the Next Gen project like we do on the issues screen in classic.  Is there a screen shot you can include.  I need to move all my epics and stories from a Next Gen project to a classic, because we can't use the Next Gen without subtasks.  Right now, I am only seeing a way to move one item at a time, and no option to bulk move.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Gurpreet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2018

you need to click on search icon on the left hand side blue global bar and then click on View all issues. once you are on issue navigator page, specify your search results for your next gen projets. once you see your issues then click on 3 dots on the top right. here is a screenshot for youchrome_2018-12-20_16-11-01.png

Like # people like this
Jonathan Mao March 24, 2019

What are the search parameters to select the whole Backlog in a classic project?

I want to move all the Backlog items to the To Do column in a next-gen project.

Alexander Horn April 8, 2019

Hello,

on my search results tool menu (see screenshot), there is no 'bulk change', per Gurpreet's screenshot.

So.. what is the trick to bulk move ?

(... as It's not the API)

or is it truly not possible? 

View:

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.16.32 PM.png

Like # people like this
Erin Robinson April 10, 2019

Yes, I have the same limitations as Alex does above. When I click on the three ellipses, I either see Clear Sorts or No Available Options.

Like # people like this
Maria Campbell April 14, 2019

I also have the same limitations. I have no way to bulk move to a classic project. Next Gen totally does NOT work for me. Have been fiddling with this all morning. It's getting to be annoying. And when I create a classic project, I am still getting next gen. Why???

Like # people like this
Jean-Baptiste Briere May 2, 2019

Working work between classic projects. Thanks for the tip.

Ron McNamara May 9, 2019

This is just another example of why Next gen projects were released waaaay too early. 

Like # people like this
Maria Campbell May 16, 2019

I did end up finding the bulk action. However, it was NOT exactly the same as before. There are definitely differences. So now I just share my original classic project workflow with new projects.

pshustak June 3, 2019

I'm still trying to determine if bulk move is supported for Next Gen projects. Can anyone confirm? 

Nicole Naude June 11, 2019

My project is a classic project, and I see "No Available Option(s)" when I click on the ellipsis. Does anyone know if this is a permission issue? And if so, what is the correct permission setting to get the Bulk Change setting back?

Like Allard likes this
Mouli March 20, 2020

I was trying to look up for the Issues & Filters Tab to filter out issues for a Next-Gen Project.. Thankfully this suggestion helped me work around it!

No wonder its been removed to declutter UI!

Thanks for the Solution! One less reason to Curse Next-Gen Projects! :)

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2020

I'm glad it helped

Elena Lo October 15, 2022

Thank you! This answer solved so many of my issues with Jira at once. You are a great human being :)

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2022

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped.

Thank you for your kind words!

Javier June 3, 2023

Great

Like Tuncay Senturk likes this
Yuval Zukerman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

Thank you!!! This saved me so much work!!!

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Taylor October 1, 2020

Try this to bulk move in the Next Gen version: 

Go to the project with the tasks you want to move. 

On the left hand navigation menu click on "Issues".

In the upper right hand side, click on the "Advanced Search" link.

in the far upper right corner, click on the "meatball menu" - the three dots. Click on "Bulk change all".

Select all tasks using the higher list checkbox.

Click on Next.

Select "Move Issues" and click Next.

Select the project you want to move the tasks, subtasks, or Epics to. Note: you may want to move based on task type so that you can maintain the type for the task in the other project.

Click on Next. 

Verify the target status and click Next.

Verify the task fields and click Next.

Conifrm the changes

Click Confirm.

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2020

Thank you @Jason Taylor 

Like Chris Shaw likes this
3 votes
Manuk Shirinyan April 25, 2019

If you don't have 'Bulk' actions in your dropdown - check your permissions.

Nicole Naude June 11, 2019

Do you happen to know which setting would provide this correct permission? 

Like Dulce Pumareja likes this
Mo Beigi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Ensure you are a member of a group with Jira Admin permissions in admin.atlassian.com.

Ahmed Mekawy July 9, 2023

did the admin permission fix your issue? @Nicole Naude 

Sreedevi Kr November 8, 2023

@Ahmed Mekawy  if you are admin, go to System->global permissions -> bulk change . Check whether in this permission your role/admin/user is added then only you can perform bulk operation.

2 votes
Benjamin Gordon February 22, 2021

I found how to execute a bulk move in Next Gen Jira! 

1. Click on the search bar at the top as if you were going to search for an issue.
  2. Click on "Advanced search issue"
  3. Select your issues based on the filter criteria
  4. Click on the "..." on the upper right
  5. Select "Bulk change"
Timothy Hicks June 1, 2023

This helped me. Thanks. There is another key step, wait for the screen to select only the tasks/issues you want moved.

0 votes
Shwetha_Peruri April 7, 2020

Hi,

I dont see the bulk move option in cloud jira.

How do I see it. 

Nicole Naude April 7, 2020

There is a permission setting for Bulk Move now in the Global Permissions settings.  You will need to have an Admin grant you that permission before you will see the option. 

0 votes
Karthick M October 31, 2019

Hi There!

I would like to know if the Comments, History will be maintained in the destination project once they are bulk moved.

Ramanathan Yegyanarayanan February 6, 2020

Yes History remains the same as it is and that move will also get recorded in history.

Like Mouli likes this
0 votes
Maryna Omelchenko June 10, 2019

Hi there! 

I have a question related to this topic. I made bulk move from a classic project to next gen one. The problem is that the issues kept the previous parent epics. Is it supposed to work like this? 

Thank you! 

Prashanth August 16, 2019

How to extend/increase the bulk limit from 1000 to 2000 in jira Cloud version

Suggest an answer