It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to add components in a Next-Gen Project (JIRA Cloud)?

Hi Every one!

Any ideas on how to add components in this sort of a template?  Documentation suggests it's quite straightforward but I can't seem to even locate the column section on JIRA cloud.

4 answers

Any updates on components for next-gen projects? Where can I see the roadmap?

If your goal is to just group tickets by components you could create a custom dropdown field called "Component" or use the label field. But you won't get the overview pages like they are available on classic projects.

It sounds like they are working on some kind of customizations for the card view (it's on the public roadmap, at least).

I think the approach you described is a viable one. For now, I'm going to be using a set of labels instead of components. Once they have the ability to customize the card view, or a dedicated components feature, I'll just update any issues with the appropriate labels to use the components.

Fortunately, we don't have a lot of components. If we did, I'd probably use your solution and forgo having them be visible on the cards in the interim.

Like Marc Thames likes this
0 votes
Mirek Community Leader Nov 19, 2018

Hi @Corinne MacCormack

As I know if you are using Next-Gen project then Components (similar to sub-tasks, required fields, versions, .. ) are not yet available for that type of project. It is a pretty early development stage, so until all elements would be available for that type it would take some time...

That really stinks.  I was hoping to use it.  Not having it is going to hurt us in being able to ensure high accuracy when grouping stories by agile team.  Please get this feature added as soon as possible.  Thanks!!

Oh man... but the roadmap feature looked so cool. I'm surprised this was released without this sort of basic functionality included...

Yeah, managers everywhere got very excited about having Gantt Charts back, but to get them you give up a lot of useful stuff.

Like # people like this

Every time I attempt to use next-gen projects I realize just how horrible they are.  They should have called it Jira Slim or Simplified and then you'd expect for features to not be included.  They really are completely useless if you are familiar with Jira Classic.   I've been using Jira for many years now and have seen it grow into a great platform but this is the worst rollout of a product I have every seen.

Like # people like this

I think they're actually pretty good (for the time it takes to get them set up), but more useful for project management

0 votes

Under issue types you can add a custom field - check boxes, drop downs etc That can help with this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

We are reinventing the Sprint burndown for next-gen projects!

Do you have a hard time meeting sprint commitments?  Do you want to know the accuracy of your sprint’s estimations?  Do you want to have an easy way to report your team...

5,152 views 5 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you