How do I remove a child issue from its parent?

André Angelantoni December 6, 2019

I added a child to an issue and it appears. I don't see a way to delete it.

Clicking "Bulk Edit" gives me the option to delete issues, which isn't the same thing as removing it as a child.

How do I delete a child?

Solution:

It seems that children are subtasks (see How do I assign an existing issue as a child issue in Next Gen?) so removing a child issue isn't possible unless it also is converted into a normal task, hence why there is no "Remove Child Issue" button.

Going to the child issue and selecting "Change parent" doesn't offer "No parent," it offers just other possible parents.

The way to remove a child is to select "Move" on the child and change it back from a Subtask to a Task.

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2019

Hi @André Angelantoni 

For those who searched for the correct answer, it will be nice to clarify.

In subtask issue view, click on Move and select Convert to Issue.

Patty Lou Smith January 7, 2022

Thank you!

Dave Austin December 27, 2023

fwiw, the proposed solution didn't work... after converting my subtask to a task, it still shows up in the parent as a child issue. It even said when I did the conversion that it would destroy the parent relationship, and says that it is a regular task (not a subtask), but still it is displayed as a child issue in the former parent. Maybe because it was a closed issue when I did the conversion?

Edit:

So apparently now when a task is made a child the epic is change to a link to the parent and a new parameter appears in the right-hand panel of the child, titled: "Parent:". This doesnt go away even after the child is converted back to a task from a subtask, and so the child-parent relationship still exists. There you can click on the icon of the parent, which brings up a drop-down, with the existing Parent selected. Click the "x" on the right side of the parent to delete that relationship.  Worked for me.Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.23.41 AM.png

Suggest an answer