Easy way to find all next-gen projects?

Esther Strom February 27, 2019

Is there any way (in the project browser) to easily see which ones are next-gen vs classic?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2019

Hi @Esther Strom - As far as I know, there's is no way to easily see which ones are classic vs next-gen.

Unfortunately, the screen that lists all projects in Jira only allows you to filter by the 4 project types (Business, Service Desk, Software, and Ops). So the best you can do is filter by Software projects, but it won't tell you which are classic and which are next-gen.

Esther Strom February 28, 2019

I figured that was the case, but hoped there was a way. It seems like a simple thing, but for admins, it would be a huge help.

2 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2019

@Esther Strom we don't have a way on the projects page. We do however have it on the boards page. The screenshot below is the Search expanded. There is a View all boards link. 

And then when on the boards page, there is a drop down at the top to filter for next-gen boards. Currently in next-gen, projects and boards are 1:1

Can I ask what your need is for seeing the distinction of projects is? Would like to get insight to see if we should make this dropdown available on Projects as well

Boards.png

Esther Strom March 4, 2019

Thanks, that's a halfway decent workaround.

My main need is pretty simple. We use specific components that are common across all of our projects. When a new component is added, it needs to be added to all projects. Since components are not available in next-gen projects (another issue), we use a corresponding label. It would be easier if I could just filter a list of all next-gen projects, so I could go to those directly, as I have a custom script that adds the components to the classic projects.

Jero Dungog May 9, 2019

Thanks Eoin, this is great help.

1 vote
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Hi @Esther Strom 

have you tried project categories?

You can create for example "Old-Gen project" and "New-Gen project" categories, assign them accordingly in the project settings and then you can use categories to filter project in the projects view.

Screenshot from 2019-03-04 16-40-23.png

Regards,

Jakub.

Esther Strom March 4, 2019

We're already using project categories to actually categorize projects. We shouldn't have to use that field to be able to filter when there's already a perfectly good way to do it that just hasn't been provided on the projects screen.

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2019

@Esther StromI totally agree with you.

I raised a feature suggestion related to our discussion: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71674

Thanks,

Jakub.

Like Krystian Lider likes this
0 votes
jay_getman October 11, 2023

If you go into your system and to the "back-up" management section it will actually list all of your next-gen projects.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2019

Hello,

You can easily distinguish a next-gen project from a classic project by the Roadmap feature. Only next-gen projects have the Roadmap feature. Also you can go to project settings and in next-gen projects you will not see such options like workflows, permissions but you will have the Features option instead.

Esther Strom February 28, 2019

Thanks, I'm aware that I can tell when I'm in a project if it's a next-gen project. What I was asking is if there's a way, when I'm in the projects list, to see a column indicating whether a project is next-gen or classic, the same way there are columns for Category and Type.

Like Emily Stewart likes this

Suggest an answer