Changing status will not put task on Board

Luka_Pavlešić November 19, 2019

Greetings! 

One of our projects are using Next Gen Software on JIRA - we have both Board and Backlog. 

We have added additional Board columns to have multiple statuses but my problem is that when someone changes Task status in Backlog (eg. from To-Do to In Progress), Task does not automatically get moved to board. 

Shouldnt Backlog be like a status before a To-Do, and moving a task to any of Board statuses should automatically move task to On Board. 

Since Next Gen Software still does not have a Workflow implemented, is there any other way for Tasks to automatically move to Board on Status change as they should? 

1 answer

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

Hi @Luka_Pavlešić ,

If you enable the Backlog feature, you must manually move the Notes from the Backlog into the Board.

The backlog is like a to-do list for your next-gen Software project. It's a dedicated space for keeping track of tasks that you want to do in the future, if you're sick of keeping all your to-do's in a column on your board.

Move issues from the backlog to your board

• Navigate to your next-gen Software project.
  • Select Backlog in the project sidebar.
  • Drag-and-drop issues from Backlog up into the On the board section.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/backlog-946603732.html

TIM截图20191120142953.png

Luka_Pavlešić November 20, 2019

Hi @Ollie Guan thank you for your answer! 

I agree with you what is the point of having Backlog, which is why we use it as well. 
But as you mentioned yourself, it should be just a list of tasks you need to do, so I either do not see a point of being able to change status of Backlog task, or even more so, would like it if you change a Task status in Backlog that is moves to Board. 

Eg. I have a task in Backlog. 
I start working on a Task which is in Backlog so I put task status to In Progress. 

Currently Task stays in Backlog but only Task status get changed. 

Expected behaviour for me would be if I change Backlog Task status from To-Do to any other that is on Board, that Task gets automatically move to Board to correct status since having Task in Backlog in "In Progress" does not make much sense. 

Additionally, there is no way to filter tasks by Status in Backlog (as it shouldnt be since Backlog tasks should not be able to have any other status than "To-Do").

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

Hi @Luka_Pavlešić ,

Perhaps you can try classic project kanban, and next-gen projects don't support column and issue status mapping.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-your-kanban-backlog-856846180.html

Luka_Pavlešić November 20, 2019

Hi @Ollie Guan

Yeah, we will have to switch to different project type since next-gen projects has few features which does not make much sense to me personally. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Like Ollie Guan likes this

Suggest an answer