It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add Watchers to a Next-Gen Project Jira Item/Epic

Hello,

A user can add themselves as a watcher to a particular Jira item in the current next-Gen Project (Cloud-based).  

Any plans to allow a user to add another user as a watcher ??  This is supported is non-Next-Gen projects.

11 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi Peter,

Currently, it's not possible to add other users as watchers or view the watcher list in the new issue view. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69751
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

dear Angelica, who said New Issue View? Peter is asking about Next-gen, this is different. ;) 

Hi Ed,

Next-gen projects have by default the New issue view, so if you disable this new view on your profile, for example, it won't affect next-gen projects, because it was already created with this new view, that's why the feature request JRACLOUD-69751 also applies to next-gen projects.

Regards,
Angélica

+100. we just need this. Seems like Next Gen actually means half a product

Just chiming in as I would love this feature also to be implemented in the next gen type projects. It is a handy feature in the old project set up.

thanks

I Agree , this feature of multiple watchers is essential to a high profile project where many others are interested in a status.  

I agree adding users as watchers is crucial as it will allow blocker Jiras to be tracked and escalated to key managers

In next-gen projects, you must add yourself as a "people" from the Project settings AND with a role of administrator before you can add other watchers

It sucks that the Admin role is needed. Next-gen needs custom roles ASAP.

1 vote

Has this ever been addressed yet? It is ridiculous that you need to be a project admin just to add watchers to the issue...

+1 from me, my next-gen projects really miss this feature. Some of our teams members are working on several projects (some classic, some next-gen) and people ask me how come they cannot add watchers in next-gen projects whereas they just did so in ye Olde style project(s).

Please please let us know if there are plans to implement adding other people as watchers in next-gen.

And if no then why: maybe a next-gen project is awesomely automated and it spares us the need we seem to have to add other unmentioned team members to lure them into visiting the issue? Mmm? Please elaborate, I'm sure we are all eager to either get the feature or learn how we don't need it (which would also be awesome, innit?) 

Please add the feature.

+10 on this one!

Agree. I've got issue types in a next-gen project that I am going to convert back into a normal project in part because users in next-gen projects can't currently add other watchers, just themself.

This has been added; however, you must add yourself as a "people" from the Project settings AND with a role of administrator before you can add other watchers. :(

Jira makes the most bizarre default permission/role decisions ever. They just leave me scratching my head at every turn.

+1 Next-gen needs custom roles ASAP.

Like # people like this

Our use case is a consultancy and we want to invite clients to participate in development of their custom software. Jira is clearly not aligned with this use case at all. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

We are reinventing the Sprint burndown for next-gen projects!

Do you have a hard time meeting sprint commitments?  Do you want to know the accuracy of your sprint’s estimations?  Do you want to have an easy way to report your team...

5,918 views 7 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you