Sprint - add only some of the subtasks

Sylwia.Jagielska November 1, 2019

Hi,

I'd like to arrange my backlog like this: Epic/Story/Task 0 but If I add childern to Stories they are converted to subtasks. When I create a sprint I can NOT choose only some subtasks to put into the sprint and I'd like to do it. Is there a way to link tasks to stories and choose which tasks to include in the sprint?

I'm using Nextgen as it has a great roadmap - Does classic have a roadmap? is so where?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2019

Hi @Sylwia.Jagielska

Sprints are based on the story-level rather than the sub-task (or child) issue level. 

This means that if you add Story 1 into your sprint, all its subordinates will be part of the sprint, so it's not possible to choose different sub-tasks per sprint.

By definition, a sprint should see the full completion of a story within the time-box - if you won't complete the story's sub-tasks - I would suggest the story is too large, and should be split into multiple stories to allow for small, valuable deliverables.

At present, Jira Classic does not have a roadmap. You can get a roadmap view using an add-on such as Jira Portfolio.

Ste

Suggest an answer