when i change the sprint name in one project then sprint name in another project also changed

gk moorthy March 23, 2016

when i change the sprint name in one project then sprint name in another project also changed. How can i control this thing . Kindly help me to get rid out of this.

5 answers

1 vote
Samuel Menezes de Souza January 24, 2019

Hi everyone! - WHAT I DID, IN FACT, IS IN THE END

Thanks a lot! I opened a ticket e receive this answer:

I used this answer to help me to develop a solution. Thank you all (@CARLISLE @Alexey Matveev [cPrime])!!

Thanks @Caio Fraga

EXPLANATION FROM ATLASSIAN SUPPORT:

"Hi Samuel, I hope you are great!

My name is Caio, and I'll be assisting you with this case.
This is happening because the sprint is an independent entity that can be used across multiple project and boards since it's related to issues. So, once you add issues from a certain project/board that is different from where the Sprint was created, the Sprint will now be displayed in both project and, since it's a single entity, once you rename it or do any changes it will replicate to all the others.

In the case of the sprint FAC Sprint 33, we noticed that you have two different sprints that were created in two different boards, as you can see in the table below:

IDSprint NameIDBoard Name

441FAC Sprint 3337BB board
443FAC Sprint 3345CMK Board

That said, you have 2 sprints with the same name created that are being shared between the 4 boards you mentioned. In order to fix that you'll have to create a new Sprint on the boards that are not mentioned above and move all the issues from the FAC Sprint 33 to the new one. This way you'll ensure that all Sprints are different and the changes you apply to one won't replicate to another.

Let us know if it clarifies. Also, feel free to update the ticket with any additional questions you may have.

Best regards,
Caio Fraga
Atlassian Support | Cloud

==========================

WHAT I DID, IN FACT:

1 - I removed all issues from Sprint to top backlog (in all bad affected Sprints). 2- The Sprints were ended automatically, when I removed all issues from it (Excepted one - But I left it empty there on the board, to avoid unknown problems, imaging that after I end the original Sprint, it will end too) and I created another new Sprint with the rght name in the same board, in this case. 3- After that, I created all another Sprints again, with right descriptions name.
Every things worked fine! Every things works fine! Thanks a lot! :)

William Miller May 29, 2019

This resolved the issue for me! Just take note of the tickets in current sprint for each project, move all to backlog, delete the existing sprints, then create new ones and move issues back in. Starting the sprint in one project then does not start a sprint in another.

I believe the issue initially began by moving an issue that was associated with an epic in one project to another project.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Like Samuel Menezes de Souza likes this
dennis.robinson October 10, 2019

Thanks William for the work around. 

Nimi May 20, 2020

Hi all, 

None of the solution is working for me . Please help 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2016

Sprints belong to boards, not projects, so what you're doing is renaming an object that includes items from two projects.  You need to separate the board so that the sprints can be separated.

Kate Duckham January 19, 2018

Hi Nic, 

Sorry to reopen this one, but can you advise how the boards are separated please or where I see the query is combining the two? As I'm having the same issue - the same sprint name mysteriously changing the sprint name of a different project (or possibly board).  Thank you.

Like huyen@validus.sg likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

You'll find they are the same sprint if you dug deep enough.

Take a look at the two board queries - do they overlap anywhere?

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

That sounds like an issue.

Do the Agile Boards that controls these Sprints share a query across both projects? You're description implies a configuration error.

Maria Szydłowska September 13, 2016

I think it is an issue Steven.

I have one board for Engineering as a whole, and two boards for iOS, and Web teams.

Engineering has tasks which are used in both boards: iOS and Web, so why I could not make a separate Sprints using different tasks from the Engineering board?

For now we have to duplicate the issues or be prepared that we need to reopen the Sprint from one of the team. 

We have to do twice some actions anyway.

0 votes
Samuel Menezes de Souza January 21, 2019

I'm sorry @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, but everybody here continue with the problem. We don't understand how can we change the behave, step by step. @Arfni Ved Solved? @Claudio Suardi fala amigo, resolveu? How do I point my sprint to right board?

Claudio Suardi January 24, 2019

Hello @Samuel Menezes de Souza,

this confusing behavior seems to be done by design.

I "solved" by avoiding giving the same sprint name to different projects, stop worrying and loving the bomb.

Like Samuel Menezes de Souza likes this
0 votes
Claudio Suardi May 21, 2018

Hello everyone, 

is this a Jira bug? I have two project, two boards with different names and filters, but the edits on the sprints are shared.

Did you find a solution for this issue?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2018

No, it's not a bug.  When you create a sprint, it shows on any board where the users might need to see it.

The "solution" is for the user to understand that a sprint will appear on all boards it affects.

Arfni Ved January 4, 2019

I have two separate boards. The boards have different filters (no overlap) and the "Projects in board" for each contains a single project and are different for each of the boards.

I created a sprint in each of the boards and gave them the same name "SP_2018-12-10".

Now, when I try to close one sprint, it says there are incomplete issues (when there are none).

So I tried changing one of the sprint's names to "SP_XXX_2018-12-10" and found that the sprint in the other board also changed it's name to "SP_XXX_2018-12-10".

Do you still think it's not a bug in Jira or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Suggest an answer