It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

way to automatically populate select list options

Hello,

I have a custom field which is a select list -- with a very long list of options that I would like to have. Is there any way to systematically populate the options for a select list? Like, from an excel sheet or external database connection?

I am running downloadable JIRA 5.2 as as standalone application.

Thanks

Andrew

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Andrew, I actually did that in the database. It's never recommended to do that, but in my case I had like five select list custom fields to populate with more than a thousand options so it was that or nothing for me.

Here's another question about that:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/53463/populate-custom-field-based-on-data-from-another-ms-sql-database

Not finding the one I did about this...

As much as I try I don't remember the name of the table, but you can insert directly there the options with a script. One table is to define the customfields and another to populate it's values. Obviously you have to stop Jira service to do changes on the database.

Excellent -- lots of options -- thanks!

You can use Script Runner to import values for custom fields.

Henning

Hello @Ramiro Pointis , @Andrew Nicholso1 , @Mizan and @Henning Tietgens  

Could you please let me know how did you achieve this requirement?

I want to do something similar

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

It was not a requirement I implemented but an answer to the original question. 

Did you try to explore the answers especially the accepted one.

Asking a new question might be better.

Hello @Mizan ,

Thank you for the response. 

I have not tried Database values plugin, reason being : I need values from Jira only, I was not sure whether that would work or not. I am trying it now. 

Here's my original request:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-it-possible-to-have-a-scripted-select-list-which-contain/qaq-p/1211810#U1218384

and

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-add-dynamic-options-to-a-single-select-list-field/qaq-p/1218396?utm_campaign=#U1218444

Kindly suggest any solutions

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

308 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you