way to automatically populate select list options

Andrew Nicholson April 8, 2013

Hello,

I have a custom field which is a select list -- with a very long list of options that I would like to have. Is there any way to systematically populate the options for a select list? Like, from an excel sheet or external database connection?

I am running downloadable JIRA 5.2 as as standalone application.

Thanks

Andrew

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

Hi Andrew, I actually did that in the database. It's never recommended to do that, but in my case I had like five select list custom fields to populate with more than a thousand options so it was that or nothing for me.

Here's another question about that:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/53463/populate-custom-field-based-on-data-from-another-ms-sql-database

Not finding the one I did about this...

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

As much as I try I don't remember the name of the table, but you can insert directly there the options with a script. One table is to define the customfields and another to populate it's values. Obviously you have to stop Jira service to do changes on the database.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013
Andrew Nicholson April 9, 2013

Excellent -- lots of options -- thanks!

shikha Goswami June 2, 2021

@Andrew Nicholson  @Ramiro Pointis hy ramiro ,can u plz help me out in cascading select list in jira from excel sheet

0 votes
SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV November 3, 2019

Hello @Ramiro Pointis , @Andrew Nicholson , @Mizan and @Henning Tietgens  

Could you please let me know how did you achieve this requirement?

I want to do something similar

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2019

It was not a requirement I implemented but an answer to the original question. 

Did you try to explore the answers especially the accepted one.

Asking a new question might be better.

SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV November 3, 2019

Hello @Mizan ,

Thank you for the response. 

I have not tried Database values plugin, reason being : I need values from Jira only, I was not sure whether that would work or not. I am trying it now. 

Here's my original request:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-it-possible-to-have-a-scripted-select-list-which-contain/qaq-p/1211810#U1218384

and

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-add-dynamic-options-to-a-single-select-list-field/qaq-p/1218396?utm_campaign=#U1218444

Kindly suggest any solutions

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013
0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

You can use Script Runner to import values for custom fields.

Henning

Maro Hamamjyan August 24, 2020

Hello, 

How can I import values from csv to a jira single selection custom field  fields using scriptrunner? Can you please write the steps?

Suggest an answer