Is it possible to have a scripted select list which contain options as values of other fields

SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV October 24, 2019

I have a requirement of a select list custom field for a particular project which can have dynamic options such as:

There is a number field : Bnum

System field in jira: Summary

The option should appear like "<Value of Bnum><space><Value of summary>"

So the no of options dynamically increase with the number of issues that are created within that particular project.

e.g. Issue 1: Bnum=123

Summary= abcd

Issue 2: Bnum=456

Summary = efgh

Then field options should be:

• 123 abcd
  • 456 efgh

5 answers

0 votes
Govind Drolia November 5, 2019

Hello Swapnil,

Any Update on your Request as I have also similar request 

Where I need to grab the Summary of the all Issue from a project and pass it to a customfield that I can use it as a Select list to create a Issue of another project 

Thanks

Govind

0 votes
SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV October 30, 2019

Hello @JamieA ,

Could you please have a look.

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

0 votes

I have tried:

Both of them not working for me. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

I would very strongly recommend that you do NOT do this.  A list of custom field options that gets too long (and it will in this case) will rapidly become useless to users and then start hurting performance if it continues to grow.

Could you explain why you are trying to do this?  Of what possible use is it to the end-users?

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Thank you for the response.

It is a requirement from a customer. They want that they need not go to the Issue Navigator and find values from there and then enter it in a text field. They want it to be automated, I guess.

Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

"A requirement from a customer" is not an answer.  Could you explain why they think they want to do this?  Get them to explain of what possible use it is to them?

SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV October 31, 2019

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

They need these values and they want to automate the process of going to the Issue Navigator and view from there and then manually enter this information in a text field.

Could you please help!

Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV November 3, 2019

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

They need these options as they want the value of number field of other issues to be visible so that they can create a new ticket having an idea to which previous number it is related to. 

Also, isn't Select List Conversions (https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.5/jira/behaviours-conversions.html) an option to do such sort of implementations.

I understand that it would impact the performance but it is an urgent and important requirement.

Please help me out here, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks and Regards

Swapnil Srivastav

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2019

I'm afraid "they need this" is still not an answer.

Could you explain why they think they want to do this? Get them to explain of what possible use it is to them?  Why are they not using issue links?

0 votes
SWAPNIL SRIVASTAV October 25, 2019

Tried script from this page:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-conversions.html#_walkthrough_pick_from_jira_issues

But still need to figure out how to fetch value of fields from the result of JQL and use them to form a concatenated string that can be added as options.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Swapnil Srivastav.

Suggest an answer