the Automation rule does not work correctly

Santens November 2, 2020

In the project I created a lot of automation rules where custom fields should be edited when creating a task trigger. In the next steps a subtask should be created and the custom fields should be copied from the main task. However, the subtask is created but the fields are not copied. Do not understand why.Screenshot_2.jpgScreenshot_3.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Hello!

This issue actually makes a lot of sense to me. Basically, in order to save on processing power, the automation rule will preload data from the issue, so it'll fetch the summary, components, ect when the execution rule will trigger. When you modify it using the Edit Issue action, and then try to copy the values from the current issue, it'll use what it already has loaded, which will be the original value.

To get the updated values, you need to add an action in between the Edit Issue fields action and the create new issue action. This action is called Re-fetch issue data. This will force Jira to re fetch the data, and will now use the values that you just set with the "Edit Issue" action. 

This is just a quick example which I whipped up to illustrate what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 1.19.59 PM.png

Santens November 2, 2020

Thank you so much, I added this step to the rule and now it works exactly as intended!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Glad to hear that it worked for you!

Like Santens likes this
Lucinda Pagett April 20, 2023

Hi! I have just tried this and it still doesn't seem to be working on my automation. I have a custom field that doesn't seem to want to populate in Jira or emails. I don't have any other fields with the same name in any other project and all other fields seem to work, just not this one.

0 votes
Sara Palmitessa January 6, 2023

I created a rule to have a Task appear after an Epic is created.  I also wanted a few fields to appear with that task but they are not showing up.  I added Re-fetch Issue Data like the comment made above said, not sure if that is applicable to my situation but it did not work anyway.

Not working automation.PNG

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

Hi

You must change to Copy from parent operation to act like what you want.

image.png

Santens November 2, 2020

This does not affect the result in my particular case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events