storing index on ramdisk - Need help

Hi All,

We have a large JIRA hosted on prem with over 1 million issues. We had lot of performance issues in the past, as a result, one of our consultants suggested we go with SSD as ramdisk to store index. Ever since then our JIRA performance is drastically improved. One of the challenges that I still need help with is on index backup on restoration.

If we reboot the server, we will end up losing the index that is stored on the RAMDISK, as a result, we will have to go through a production downtime of 3 or more hours to lock and reindex. 

Can anyone please tell me if you have a similar config. Also let me know how can we perform a quick backup of index to another drive so that in the event of server reboot, we can copy the index from a backup location. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

1 answer

0 vote

This is a bit confused - an SSD is not a RAM disk.  An SSD is a solid state drive which retains data written to it when powered off.  A RAM disk is a disk held in volatile RAM which loses all its data when it loses power.

RAM disks are by far the fastest option for a JIRA index, but because they're volatile, you have to rebuild the index on every reboot.

SSDs are slower than RAM disks, but still a lot faster than standard hard drives.  If the three hour rebuild is an issue, a good option is to move off the RAM disk and onto a local SSD.  Reboots will not lose the index then.

Your last suggestion is also valid if you want to continue to use a RAM disk.  On an orderly shut down, stop JIRA, copy the whole index directory to a non-volatile storage (hard disk or even an SSD if you want), then, after reboot, when the RAM disk is available, copy it back.  This is faster than re-indexing, but still may not be as fast to restore as using a normal disk or an SSD

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,334 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot