setting a value in a custom field without a value

pnelsonsr July 21, 2014

I created a date-time custom field and set it to do a Close Transition Post Function Update with JIRA Suite Utilities. So this works, but any issue that was previously closed is missing a value in the Closed field. This is a newer JIRA installation so I would like to update those issues. Problem is that the issue screen doesn't show the Closed field because in those issues it doesn't have a value.

How do I update a custom field's data when it is blank and doesn't show up in the issue screen?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2014

Generally, you just use "edit" - this always displays all the editable fields, whether they have data or not. That does assume they're included in the Edit screen definition, and in a lot of workflows, the "closed" status has a flag that blocks edit as well. (If that flag is set, you have to either remove it, or create a new transition that doesn't change status, but still goes through the edit screen)

pnelsonsr July 21, 2014

thanks although the transition thing sounded appealing, I'm not sure how to do that one so I just did the edits on what was a small amount of closed issues (a very new JIRA system...) My Close Transition Post Function works going from Resolved to Closed so when I set them to reopened and then edited the Closed custom field it and then close it, it didn't go through the Resolved to Closed transition so thankfully it didn't update the Closed field. I took a little while to do it all but now we have a Closed field on all closed issues.

Suggest an answer