"The default assignee does NOT have ASSIGNABLE permission" error

I've looked around, and found answers that told me that this is most likely because my default assignee does not have the assignable permission (gee, thanks.) The problem is, the default assignee for my project DOES have the assignable permission. It's set via a project role, which the default assignee (also the project lead) is a member of. We do NOT want to allow issues to be created unassigned. Where else can I look for what might be causing this issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

Another idea: Are you using components? Maybe you're using components and the default asignee isn't your JIRA Monkey (default: component lead instead of project lead).

Cheers

Yup, it was the components. Wow, how unintuitive. I can see how you might want to be able to set a different assignee for a specific component, but it seems to me that if you don't have anything specific set in a component, it should inherit from the project's default assignee.

Volodymyr Krupach Community Champion Jan 23, 2017

You saved me! Spent an hour digging this smile.

Here are some screenshots to help clarify; maybe I'm missing something. In the Issue Permissions screen, you can see that the Assign Issues and Assignable User permissions are set to use the Users project role.

Bigger version (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917333125/)

In the Project Role screen, you can see that the default group for Users is jira-users:

Bigger version (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917367026/)

And on the People screen, you can see that JIRA Monkey, our project lead, is part of the jira-users group.

(Bigger version http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917500853/)

What am I missing that would allow us to have JIRA Monkey be the automatic assignee of tickets created?

0 votes

You are not looking at the project role for the specific project but only at the default project role session. Go to the project and check under the roles tab.

We're on 5.1. There IS no Roles tab under the project. The only way to get to Roles is from the Users dropdown in the top blue bar.

The "roles" tab IS the "people" tab in 5.1. Your configuration looks right to me. Are you sure the permission scheme from your screenshot has been assigned to the project you are talking about?

Yes, we only have a single permission scheme that's applied to all of our projects.

Yes, it is the People tab. I see that you attached it now.

Btw, where does it say that default assignee doesn't have assignable permissions? Can you check if you have any components and a component lead doesn't have the permission but is set as the default assignee?

We are using components. I'll take a look at that and see. We've only been using Jira for about 6 months, and I've only been the admin for 1. Still figuring my way around.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,868 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot