"The default assignee does NOT have ASSIGNABLE permission" error

Esther Strom, ACP-JA September 23, 2013

I've looked around, and found answers that told me that this is most likely because my default assignee does not have the assignable permission (gee, thanks.) The problem is, the default assignee for my project DOES have the assignable permission. It's set via a project role, which the default assignee (also the project lead) is a member of. We do NOT want to allow issues to be created unassigned. Where else can I look for what might be causing this issue?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2013

Another idea: Are you using components? Maybe you're using components and the default asignee isn't your JIRA Monkey (default: component lead instead of project lead).

Cheers

Yup, it was the components. Wow, how unintuitive. I can see how you might want to be able to set a different assignee for a specific component, but it seems to me that if you don't have anything specific set in a component, it should inherit from the project's default assignee.

Like # people like this
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2017

You saved me! Spent an hour digging this smile.

0 votes
Lucia Guzman June 18, 2020

thank you for helping me figure this out!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

You are not looking at the project role for the specific project but only at the default project role session. Go to the project and check under the roles tab.

We're on 5.1. There IS no Roles tab under the project. The only way to get to Roles is from the Users dropdown in the top blue bar.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

The "roles" tab IS the "people" tab in 5.1. Your configuration looks right to me. Are you sure the permission scheme from your screenshot has been assigned to the project you are talking about?

Yes, we only have a single permission scheme that's applied to all of our projects.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

Maybe the JIRA admin helper plugin could help you. I'm at loss here ...

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

Yes, it is the People tab. I see that you attached it now.

Btw, where does it say that default assignee doesn't have assignable permissions? Can you check if you have any components and a component lead doesn't have the permission but is set as the default assignee?

We are using components. I'll take a look at that and see. We've only been using Jira for about 6 months, and I've only been the admin for 1. Still figuring my way around.

Like fedor ghj likes this
0 votes

Here are some screenshots to help clarify; maybe I'm missing something. In the Issue Permissions screen, you can see that the Assign Issues and Assignable User permissions are set to use the Users project role.

Bigger version (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917333125/)

In the Project Role screen, you can see that the default group for Users is jira-users:

Bigger version (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917367026/)

And on the People screen, you can see that JIRA Monkey, our project lead, is part of the jira-users group.

(Bigger version http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookedbyesther/9917500853/)

What am I missing that would allow us to have JIRA Monkey be the automatic assignee of tickets created?

Suggest an answer