"Start Work in JIRA and activate task" not enabled, even though time tracking in Mylyn is on

Brian Kotek August 11, 2011

I've tried to enable the time tracking option for the Jira connector for Mylyn. In the Mylyn preferences, I have checked the box for "Track time in Eclipse when task is active". However, the button to "Start work in Jira and activate task" is disabled for my tasks (greyed out). I cannot figure out how to enable this or why it is not allowing me to select it. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Brian

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2011

Hi Brian,

The 'start work' button is available under few conditions. Issue must be in 'progress' or in 'stop' state. Those states come from JIRA default workflow. If you have modified your workflow heavily then it will not work for you. Here is the code:

IN_PROGRESS_STATUS = "3"

START_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "4"

STOP_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "301";

OPEN_STATUS = "1"

protected static boolean isTaskInProgress(TaskData taskData, ITask task) {
return isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && isInProgressState(taskData) && haveStopProgressOperation(taskData);
}

protected static boolean isTaskInStop(TaskData taskData, ITask task) {
if (isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && haveStartProgressOperation(taskData)) {
return true;
} else if (!isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && isInOpenState(taskData)) {
return true;
}

return false;
}

Cheers,

Jacek

HoneyD February 26, 2014

@Jacek, Is it possible to put a custom workflow step into 'progress' or 'stop' state? I have a 'Code Complete' step with an outgoing transition of 'In Progress', but I can't Start Work from Eclipse.

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

Hi,

Your 'Code Complete' step should contain transition to 'In Progress' but that should be a default JIRA transition with ID=4 (START_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "4"). In such case the 'Start Work' button should be enabled.

HoneyD March 4, 2014

Thank you for your response! Yes, the transition to "In Progress" exists from "Code Complete" and I have verified this by tranistioning a test issue in Jira from "Code Complete" to "In Progress" successfully. However, the "Start Work" button is disabled when a Jira issue is in "Code Complete" status. Is there anything else I might be able to do to resolve this? Thank you!

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2014

Most probably your transition from "Code Complete" to "In Progress" is not a standard "Start Progress" transition and has ID different from "4". That is not supported unfortunatelly.

Supporting this kind of stuff would require building a configuration where users could define their "In Progress" state. It is not planned at the moment.

Cheers,
Jacek

HoneyD April 11, 2014

I am very relieved to report that I resolved this problem. I learned from this issue - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/29496/how-to-add-default-start-progress-transition- that I could reuse the Start Progress (ID 4) transition in Diagram mode. Once I hooked this up, my Start Work option was enabled for all my custom statuses. Yay!

HoneyD August 5, 2014

Unfortunately, this has stopped working! Although everything is still set up the same way, the Start Work option is disabled again when the issue is in a custom status, even though the status is linked to the "New" state and the "In Progress" transition has ID 4. Any ideas?

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

If issue is in custom status then in order to have the 'start work' button enabled two conditions must happen:

• Issue must be assigned to you
  • There must be Start Progress transition available (standard JIRA transition with id=301)

I'm not sure at the momement why the first bullet exist. We could consider removing this condition.

if (isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && haveStartProgressOperation(taskData)) {
return true;}

Bulk-Ops December 29, 2019

yes it is possible to change the any  jira status in eclipse , steps are

click on your issue - then click on action  button, below you will find  all status then change your status accordingly.

regards

shekar.k

Bulk-Ops December 29, 2019

i have another solution also , 

that is get jira in eclipse by clicking on jira issue in eclipse you will find  open with web browser option just click on that , your jira login dashboard will appear , then change the status same as jira.

check  this Screenshot (30).png

regards

shekar.k

Suggest an answer