"Epic With Key Does Not Exist"

Natalie Reppa April 1, 2019

Hi All, 

Users in our domain are having issues linking tasks/concepts/ to related epics. Users are unable to search for the created epic, and receive a "epic with key does not exist" error even when typing the title. 

This is happening in multiple projects, to users who are both site admins and project leads. 

2 answers

1 vote
Brian Mertens July 19, 2022

This happened for us as well (Data Center v8.13.13). We were trying to type the Epic Name or the Epic's Issue Key into the Epic Link field from a Story but it would give us the message "Epic With Key <issuekey> Does Not Exist."

It turns out that the Epic Status was set to Done.  By default, searches in the Epic Link only search for "open" issues.  To resolve, we left the Epic Link field blank and selected its drop-down arrow.  That reveals a "Show done epics" checkbox (see screenshot), which we selected.  After doing this, our Epic (with the Done status) appeared in the list.  And we were then also able to type in the Epic Name or Epic's Issue Key to find it.

One more twist to our scenario is that the Epic Status field is actually hidden on the screens (it is set automatically).  In our case, the Epic that had Epic Status of Done actually had an "open" Status value.  So we didn't realize it had an Epic Status value of Done.  And it got in this state because it was cloned from another Epic that had Epic Status of Done.

image.png

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

Hi @Natalie Reppa 

Check whether the user accounts has browse permission to the project where the EPIC is created. And also whether there are any security schemes applied on that project.

Natalie Reppa April 3, 2019

Thanks it's neither of these. I'm a site admin, and this is happening in our IT project--as well as project leads in the projects they created. No security schemes either. 

dirkscholtencomsave May 16, 2019

@Natalie Reppa  I just had the same issue but realised that when you make an epic, the name of the epic is not automatically taken from the task name. You have to go to the task that you made into an epic and give it a specific epic name in addition to the task name.

Sai Praveen Aminigadda June 26, 2019

we are facing the same issue, did yours solved.?

Kieran December 10, 2019

I just had this issue. It happened after I promoted a task to an epic, and tried to create an issue in the epic. The problem went away after I refreshed the page with the pic I'd just promoted.

Suggest an answer