"Description is required" when creating an issue

Cecilia Smith May 25, 2018

Good morning, 

I am having some issues when generating a new issue under a project. 

After filling in all the required field (end even the non required ones) nothing happens and an error message saying "The Description is required" appears.

However, no Description field is available. Also, when looking for it under "Fiel Configuration" just to make sure that it wasn't hidden, the field "Description" doesn't appear.

It might be an easy error, but I am not able to solve it myself. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot in advance

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

@Cecilia SmithJust to  add to  what @Tarun Sapra said,  description  field is a  system field and you  have possibility to  make it   optional,  mandatory  or even  hide it.

if you don't want to see it on  the screen just  make it optional in the field configuration you are using  for this issue type  then  hide it or just optional.  Even better you  can have a whole control  by  creating a separate field configuration for this issue type, and manipulate it as you  want if you  are using the  default field  configuration  as  this  field(description) is optional in  default field  configuration by default.

Best!

Cecilia Smith May 28, 2018

Hi @Moses Thomas

Thank you for your help! However, I am not sure about how to find the field in order to make it optional or even hide it.

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2018

@Cecilia SmithYou  need to have Jira admin permission, go to  Jira administration Icon  under this icon choose  projects > go to the project where you  want to create this issue  in.

in this view you  will  see field configuration scheme click  the field configuration there you  can  make it optional then  hide it.

Note it will  be better to use another copy of  default field configuration and associate it  with issue type,  if  your project is using  default field  configuration as many  projects could use this  configuration.

After done this you  could also check  workflow for this issue type whether or not there is no  validator  set in create transition (which make description field required) if there is  remove it !

This should help

Best!

Cecilia Smith May 29, 2018

Thank you Moses! Issue resolved :)

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2018

@Cecilia Smithso please accept / vote for solutions  so  that  other with the same problem could  benefit.

Best ! :)

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

Hello @Cecilia Smith

It seems that the "Description" field is missing from the "Create screen" but is mandatory in the field configuration which is mapped to the issueType. In the field configuration scheme of the project you can see that. On the create issue pop-up on the top right you can click on "configure fields" and then "where is my field" and then search for description and you will see where exactly it needs to be added.

Hello @Tarun Sapra!

Firts of all, thanks for the answer. Yes, it is exactly that problem. However, everytime I try to click on "Where is my field" the system keep loading and loading and nothing happens. 

Any clue on this?

Thank you very much!

0 votes
Netfilix gamer January 26, 2021

Thank you bro

m oulya August 6, 2021
Thank you bro.
0 votes
Arjun Hazari May 25, 2018

@Cecilia Smith Is the field Description available on the screen? And also can you check any validator is applied on the transition this might be helpful

Hello @Arjun Hazari!

No, the "Description" field doesn't appear on the "Create Screen". Regarding the validator, how can I check this? It would be helpful

Netfilix gamer January 26, 2021

yes

Suggest an answer