"Create" button doesn't work to create issues

Jason Freeman February 20, 2019

Recently, when we try to manually create an issue by clicking the "Create" button, it doesn't work. We don't know exactly when this started, but we know it's been in the past month or so.

When we click the Create button at the top, the normal form appears where we can fill in fields (and choose which fields we want to see for the issue).  Once we have the fields filled in, we click the Create button at the bottom of the form.  Nothing at all happens; no error message, the form doesn't go away, the issue does not get created, etc.  Literally nothing happens at all.  You can click the Create button as many times as you want, and nothing will happen.

Similarly, for issues that have already been created, pressing the Update button does nothing.

However, issues can still be created through the customer portal in Jira Service Desk.  So that part works completely fine.

We were on on Jira 7.13.0, so updated to Jira 7.13.1, thinking that might fix it, but it didn't.  We can't upgrade to Jira 8 yet because we have plugins that have to be updated first.

Any ideas?

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Freeman February 21, 2019

Based on testing, we believe an add-on called nFeed is causing the issue.  Upon disabling it, the issue seems to have went away.

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2019

You can raise a ticket to the vendor of nFeed, I believe they will fix it ASAP.

Reto Gehring _Valiantys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2019

Hi Jason,

Try to identify which nFeed field is causing the problem. You could do this by removing one by one from the create screen.

Once the field is identified, check the configuration of the field. 

You can always open a ticket with our support

https://support-software.valiantys.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/user/login?destination=portal%2F1

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2019

Hello Jason,

This is most probably a javascript error causing not to create the issue.

Open the browser's developer tools and try to see what error you're getting. It may give you the clue to locate and fix the problem.

Even if I find the issue, how would I fix it? I haven't changed any Javascript or HTML in Jira, nor do I know how to.

So even if something is messed up, how would it have gotten that way? Is it shipping from Atlassian broken?

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2019

Hello,

Most probably it is not shipped as this, and a plugin is causing the problem. Locating the problem. Will guide us to the solution.

Ah, so a plugin could be doing it, too.  That makes sense.  I knew that I hadn't changed anything myself. :)

I will check it and report back.

The following error is generated in the console when simply navigating to the issue-creation form:

Field not configured.

It points to this address:

batch.js?baseurl-check-resources=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jira.create.linked.issue=true&locale=en-US&nps-acknowledged=true&nps-not-opted-out=true&richediton=true&spectrum=true&user-logged-in=true:6462

When I click the Create button, it generates these two errors:

An invalid form control with name='778af0dc-97b1-4fc0-bf5d-687f335d19be' is not focusable.

An invalid form control with name='' is not focusable.

Does this give any clues?

0 votes
John Descy July 25, 2021

I still have this problem in all browsers but a freshly installed and vanilla Firefox. I assume it's due to some sort of ad blocking or cookie pop-up blocking, but disabling my blockers hadn't helped.

0 votes
Henrik Skinstad February 5, 2021

After reading the thread i uninstalled chrome app after chrome app. The "Create" button started working after I uninstalled SEOquake.

BR

Henrik

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

It is really hard to have a stable environment using all the plugins with harmony.

Henrik Skinstad February 5, 2021

I can imagine. I always assumed a website could cause plugins to malfunction but not the other way around especially if I'm not actively using the plugin. I don't understand what SEOquake (how supposedly just analyze the page I'm at) can cause a button on the page to malfunction.

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

That's all the magic of javascript  :D

Antônio Duarte February 5, 2021

For me, it is enough to clear the cache of the browser, and everything comes back to normality. 

It happens from time to time, I do not know the reasons.

Patrick Wilson May 6, 2021

I just had the same problem and turning off a Chrome extension, WAVE Evaluation Tool, solved the problem for me.

0 votes
Antônio Duarte May 30, 2019

Hi, folks,

I have the same problem. The pop-up screen is shown, I fill in its fields, but when I click on the Create button at the bottom, the problem is intermittent: sometimes the "Create" button works, sometimes, not.
   I make my tests always when JIRA is at exactly the same page (the initial page that shows the project issues when you open the project).Initial screen.jpg

In our case, we DON'T have the nFeed app in our system.

I'm able to activate de Developers Tool, but I don't have the expertise to analyze the info there.

Please, can someone help with this? Which kind of info from the Developers Tool tabs must I send to you?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio.

Antônio Duarte June 5, 2019

Can someone offer a tip, please?

Thanks in advance.

devops Nexi March 17, 2020

You may have a required field not present in the screen

Jira doesn't show any error to the user in this case

Kelly de August 14, 2020

If that were the case, then wouldn't you always have this problem occur? I am having this same issue. It appears to be within a certain project so what you say makes sense but sometimes it will create the issue and sometimes it doesn't with no warning. The create screen just sits there and when I click create it does nothing. I have to try it several times or close out of Jira and go back in for it to work.

Kane Buck _ PHM Health February 12, 2023

@devops Nexi your comment was the fix for me! i had a required field that wasnt showing in the form for a new issue type i created and causing the issue creation glitch

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

Suggest an answer