"Create linked issue" missing from software project?

Benjamin Peikes August 23, 2018

Might be a bug, but also could be a configuration issue. The meatball menu, ie "..." on issues in our software development project doesn't have the "Created liked issue" item in the menu.

This is available in both Business projects and our Service Desk. Makes no sense that it's not there. Anyone have this issue?

13 answers

6 votes
Benjamin Peikes August 28, 2018

Looks like another 2 year old bug that Atlassian refuses to fix, even though it should take 5 minutes. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-14730

Richard Cross July 14, 2020

Lol... there are plenty of 10 year old bugs that need fixing first.  ;-)

1 vote
Tom Devolder September 26, 2019

+1.  This would be very helpfull

1 vote
Bodil Øvergård July 8, 2019

We would also need this feature. 

1 vote
Mustafa Büyükkara June 24, 2019

We also use Service Desk and Software Projects within our company and this is a needed feature. 

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi June 19, 2019

@Daniel Jimenez 

Hi Daniel,

Currently, this is as designed by Atlassian. Software projects do not have the option to "Create Linked Issue" due to the fact that cloning includes sprint data caused significant problems (dating back to 2012 it seems).

If you dig through the relevant open tickets for issue, you will find that Atlassian intends to review/revisit this issue late in 2019 but no commitment as to whether it will be added.

Here's a ticket from 2016 which has various linked tickets to both server and cloud. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-13625

Daniel Jimenez June 19, 2019

Yep I read that. My comment stands, "please fix this".

Like # people like this
0 votes
Daniel Jimenez June 19, 2019

Please fix this.

0 votes
Alfonso Leiva [ServiceRocket] April 3, 2019

Interesting that the documentation specifically says it's for either service desk or for business projects. So... from Software projects should not be available at all https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/linking-issues-861257339.html#Linkingissues-Createanewlinkedissuefromanexistingissueinaservicedeskorbusinessproject

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi August 28, 2018

Here is the cloud version link: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-13625

0 votes
Krishnanand Nayak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

ok now i see what you mean. most of our projects are software so didn't realized this was even a feature :) 

Rosa M Fossi August 28, 2018

Ah~ that makes sense.  If you don't have various projects that are the different types, you wouldn't notice it  ;) 

In my case, we have a couple of business, and service desks, in addition to several software projects.    Thanks for the link @Benjamin Peikes ... even if it's a bit discouraging  ;) 

0 votes
Krishnanand Nayak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018
Benjamin Peikes August 28, 2018

Krishnanand - We have everything set up. This seems to be a bug. We can link issues, the problem is in our software project "Create linked issue" is not available. There is an entry for "Link" in the menu, but not "Create linked issue".

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi August 27, 2018

Hello,  I'm finding the same issue.  I have the option to "Link", but I do not see a "Create Linked Issue" on a newly created Software Project. 

BTT project - missing create linked issue.png

I am able to Create Linked Issues from my Business Projects and Service Desk... 

I checked my Permissions in the Software Project, and I am part of the group (it's our "everyone" group) that has the "Link Issues" permission.   I did notice this line "Only useful if issue linking is turned on." 

linking only useful notice JIRA.png

Am I missing one other place to turn on Linking? 

Benjamin Peikes August 27, 2018

I think its a bug. I’ll try to raise a bug report with Atlassian, but they dont seem to be interested in fixing bugs.

Like caraujo likes this
0 votes
Benjamin Peikes August 23, 2018

Where is that setting? I can't figure out how to turn it on.

Krishnanand Nayak
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

if you are the admin. Go to Permission Schemes under the Issue option in admin.

There open the scheme associated with the project. it will be present there, or you an added the permission to specific users

0 votes
Krishnanand Nayak
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2018

check the "Link Issues" permission in the scheme for the project. 

Suggest an answer