@mention non-agent users in Service Desk

James Boswell April 12, 2016

We use JIRA Service Desk as well as JIRA software. We have created user only accounts for our customers to raise tickets.

We can successfully @mention agents but not other JIRA users who are not part of the jira-servicedesk-users group.

I need clarity on a number of things...

Does membership of "jira-servicedesk-users" make someone a Service Desk agent and therefore incur a license fee for that user.

• if it does, how do @mention my developers who are not SD agents?
  • If not, where do I provision users vs agents

Related to this, how do I expose specific issues to customers who may not have been the issue raiser. My plan was to @mention them, but they are not showing up.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2016

Hi @James Boswell,

I'll try answer your queries as accurately as I can:

• @mentions within a Service Desk project (or any JIRA project) only work for JIRA users who have the browse project permission for that project. It's a requested feature that we open it up somehow to everyone in the instance, and we have an open issue to address it. Please vote on it if you'd like to see it implemented.
  • If you add JIRA Service Desk access to a user then yes, they will take up a Service Desk license. You can do this by accessing the cog in the top left, and selecting User Management. Then select the user, and check the box for JIRA Service Desk. 
  • As stated above, you can only @mention users with the browse project permission for that project. Therefore you can't @mention your developers in JIRA Software, or any other JIRA users, if you haven't explicitly given them the browse project permission.
  • To expose an issue to a user or customer in your Service Desk issue, you can do one of two things:
    • Add them as a request participant (they'll get an email saying this has happened)
    • Add them as a watcher to the issue so they get updates

So I think the best way forward for you would be to add the developers in JIRA Software as request participants, they'll get an email and be able to take action if required. At present you can't add a custom message to this request, but they will receive an email alerting them to the issue. Going forward, if you do want to be able to @ mention a JIRA user, you need to grant them the browse project permission on the project. You could do this in a number of ways, either add the users individually, or add the relevant groups. This does mean these users will be able to see all issues in the project.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Thanks,

Warren

James Boswell April 13, 2016

Thanks @Warren Thompson. Helpful as always.

I have tested adding a customer as a participant, and the email was received as you said. I can live with the default message, but it seems added participants can only see the issue title, no description.

Is that the intended behaviour? It seems pretty poor if so sad

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2016

It's a popular request to be able to modify all the content of outgoing Service Desk emails @James Boswell, and again we have an open issue for it here, and it's something we're really looking into.

It's great to get feedback on our products from customers like yourself, and though we can't always prioritise it straight away, it definitely affects our roadmap and helps us develop and deliver what our customers want and need. Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming! smile

Cheers,

Warren

Like Joubert likes this
Brett Larson March 5, 2019

Hi! Is there any update on the issue of what the Request Participants can see regarding the ticket? James' message above states that added participants can only see the title but not the description. 

Is that still the case? What can the added participants see about the ticket? My assumption is that once they are added, they can see everything about it including details, attachments, comments, history, etc. is that the case?

Like Eugene Yasiuchenko likes this
Joshua Sung May 15, 2019

@Wazza , when you say browse projects for jira users, does this count for Customers? We have that available in global permissions yet they are not "mentionable"

Mo Marzouk May 4, 2020

You can't add people to the watchers that are not service desk agents, so that's out. Also you still can't @mention people after adding them as request participants so that won't work either. My mind is kind of blown that this has been an issue for 4 YEARS! with no solution. How is this still a problem and over 500 people (presumably admins) on the open ticket as a request and it is still not implemented. What is going on over there?! 

Like # people like this
Sean Lively September 1, 2020

Yay, more Thoughts and Prayers for simple functionality. 

3 votes
Bobby August 5, 2019

Hi all,

Newbie to JIRA, but I have found a way to mention users via the JSD portal using the following format.

[~username] 

Cheers

Pablo Martinez March 11, 2020

[~bobby]

3 votes
Eugene Yasiuchenko April 17, 2019

Hello Warren @Wazza , all

Searched thru many similar problems and topics... tried all of the suggested solutions. Still doesn't solve my problem, so decided to post here as Warren's answers here are the most useful that others in other topics. Hopefully @Wazza  you'll be able to help me out too.

In this topic you talk about jira licensed users that can't be mentioned. And the solution suggested above works well!

=== BUT==

HOW can I mention a user from a client's JSD portal? whether I'm licensed or not (just a service desk customer) 

Granted 'Browse projects' and 'Browse users and groups' permissions to all users. Users still can't mention anyone on the portal. 

Moreover, EVEN ADMINS can't mention a user from the portal view. It's only available from the jira backend. 

Is anything changed with the new GDPR policy ?

NOTE: mentioning has been working ~6-8 month ago, but then something changed apparently.

0 votes
Nuno Carreiró January 14, 2020

[~joao.fariagoncalves]

Suggest an answer