issueService.validateUpdate works for Task but not Subtask

Scott Evans January 21, 2013

I am using a groovy listener to update a field with the following code snippet

MutableIssue issue = event.issue as MutableIssue
        log.setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level.DEBUG)

//Get current state of the indexer (usually false/disabled)
        def wasIndexing = ImportUtils.indexIssues;
        ImportUtils.indexIssues = true;

// define some generic stuff used by all
        CustomField       cfID      = cfm.getCustomFieldObjectByName("GlobalID")

def               issueM          = cm.getInstance().getIssueManager();
        def               indexM          = cm.getIndexManager();

//==============================================================================
        // Set the user to the admin user to get admin rights
        def admin_user = cm.getUserUtil().getUser("admin")
        cm.getJiraAuthenticationContext().setLoggedInUser(admin_user)

... (more code but no edits to issue )
issueWatermark  = issueM.getIssueObject("ADMIN-1")
        def       vNextID   = issueWatermark.getCustomFieldValue(cfID)

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        // Assign ID to issue

IssueInputParameters setIDParameters = new IssueInputParametersImpl();            
        setIDParameters.addCustomFieldValue(cfSonicsID.getId(), vNextID)
        def updateIDValidationResult = issueService.validateUpdate(admin_user, issue.getLong("id"), setIDParameters);
        if (updateIDValidationResult.isValid()) { 
            def updateIDResult = issueService.update(admin_user, updateIDValidationResult, EventDispatchOption.DO_NOT_DISPATCH, false); 
            indexM.reIndex(updateIDResult.getIssue())
            log.debug "Setting ID for issue "+issue.getKey()+" to "+vNextID.toString()
        } else {log.debug "no ID update on "+issue.getKey();}

}

Line number 31 passes for a "Task" type but fails for a "sub-task". The admin_user is in the admin group, so he shouldn't have any permission problems. From the log command, I can see that the key is for the right issue (e.g. not the parent issue). What could possibly cause it to not work on sub-task creation?

I do a reIndex on a different issue in the missing code (...). Perhaps, that is messing me up some how.

George

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

the validationResult has an errorCollection which will have details on why it failed. Try printing the details in it.

Scott Evans January 21, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. I added:

updateIDValidationResult.errorCollection.errors.each {log?.error "Error: $it"}

It printed:

Error: issuetype=Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified.

I'm a little confused by the message. Do I need to determine if the issue that I'm trying to do this to is a subtask and if so, add

setIDParameters.setIssueTypeId(issueSubtaskTypeId);

George

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

I haven't seen an option to set parentId or key in the Input parameters. I don't know if you can use FieldValuesHolder. Try IssueManager and see if that helps.

Scott Evans January 22, 2013

I've done a little more testing. This is done in a groovy scriptrunnner, which was being run on issue Created. If I change it to Issue Commented, and comment the issue, the code works as expected. Now I need to figure out why issue Created works differently than Issue Commented.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

There has been some questions on here recently about negative interactions when changing an issue in a listener and the AutoWatch listener... sounds related. Personally I could not reproduce the fix with disabling the autowatch listener.

Scott Evans January 22, 2013

I turned off AutoWatch for the admin user, but that did nothing different.

Scott Evans January 23, 2013

instead of using the IssueInoputParameter technique, I used the setCustomField technique and it works now.

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2015

Looks like you can use issueInputParameters.setRetainExistingValuesWhenParameterNotProvided(true, true) to tell JIRA not to try to validate the issue type. Seems to work

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

Which is line 31? Can you log the updateIDValidationResult, what does that show ? It should have methods like getErrors or getErrorCollection to find out what went wrong, but the toString() result may well have that.

Is the custom field on the screen for the sub-task?

None of the reindex code should be necessary btw.

Suggest an answer