issueService.validateCreate fails when creating an issue with REQUIRED custom field

Komail Badami May 17, 2017

I have a REQUIRED single select customfield set for a given screen which is mapped to a given issue in JIRA.(the one i will be creating programmatically). The value to be set for these fields is obtained from another dropdown in a transition screen.

When I try to create the issue programmatically using a jira plugin, it fails probably because a value is REQUIRED for the customfield(despite setting a default value for the field in JIRA) . If I dont make the field REQUIRED, i am able to create the issue and also update its value using 

customField.updateValue()

after creating the issue.

But I want to keep the REQUIRED option else I cannot remove the None option from the dropdown. 

Ive tried setting the value using the below code before the issue is created.

issueInputParameters.addCustomFieldValue(custFieldId,"value to set");
UpdateValidationResult update = issueService.validateUpdate(ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser(), issue.getId(), issueInputParameters); 

if (update.isValid()) {		  issueService.update(ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser(), update);

System.out.println("Update is valid"); //It prints this
 }else{	 

System.out.println("Update is not valid");
 }
IssueLinkManager issueLinkManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager();
CreateValidationResult createValidationResult = issueService.validateCreate(user, issueInputParameters);

but createValidationResult fails and the issue is not created. Where am I going wrong ? Ive also tried using 

issueInputParameters.setSkipScreenCheck(true)

but with no luck. Can anyone please help me to create the issue keeping the REQUIRED field option set.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2017

Hi Komail! This looks like a developer question, so it would be better to post it at community.developer.atlassian.com that's where our developer community hangs out :)

Cheers,

Ana

Komail Badami May 17, 2017

Hi Ana, I've raised the same question  there . I was using this forum earlier and got replies to my other questions regarding jira development, so assumed that its the right one :)

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/issueservice-validatecreate-fails-when-creating-an-issue-with-required-custom-field/4009

Suggest an answer