is there a way to show custom fields up on selected values from other fields?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2014

hi there i know this might be a lil bit tricky but i was requested to create a new custom field that only shows up if a specific selection is made from our Severity field.

i don't want client side solutions such as javascript...does n1 of you know if there is some kind of a condition setup for customfields or any other extended cascading feature that allows this?

sure there is a cascading select list field type but that is not providing the solution i need.

Severity field has values...like sev1 to sev5

when the user selects sev1 or sev2 a new field should be shown wich is a text field where to enter some impacts...

any ideas?

Regards

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2014

Ok, I will praise myself again: try JJUPIN, it hides away from you all the JS.

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2014

JJUPIN rocks.

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2014

I see that JJUPIN did just add new features for show/hide fields!

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2014

i will give it a shot. thanks.

any clue if fields can be hidden per conditions such as "only show if cfield_12345 has value in (a,b)" ?

Radu Dumitriu February 2, 2014

Yes. There are plenty of examples on our site http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/TR/Recipes

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2014

Radu. i just purchased JJUPIN and diggin in the documentation right now.

is there any KB article that comes close to what i need?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2014
0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2014
0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2014

My instinct would be if I could limit it to only one transition, like on "create," that I needed this functionality, that I could hack this together by creating a step in the middle. Then using a plugin with a conditional postfunction, if the severity = X, then it transitions to another status with the screen with the custom field you want. You could create several different transitions to handle different severities.

This is a clunky solution but the only thing I can think of that wouldn't require coding.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

The only solutions I've seen for this are

1. A plugin that provides a new field type to do it

2. Javascript

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2014

thanks Nic,

can you give me more details for the 1st solution you mentioned please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

There's not a lot to say really - I've worked in a couple of places that wrote plugins to do it. Storage formats were a bit of a pain, but the cleanest one I saw was basically cribbed directly from the code for the cascading-select with some tweaks to the .vm to show/hide the second half of the field as required.

I can't share the code, as it was all internal stuff (and I didn't copy it, as it wasn't mine!)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2014

sure thing Nic.

i guess i stick with some dirty workaround like putting an update field conditon on the customfield during triggering the Resolve transition.

probably the fastest availabe solution

Suggest an answer