how do i remove a label utterly

Joe Zink April 24, 2020

How to delete a label in Jira
To completely delete a label from a JIRA instance, the label must be first removed from all the issues in that instance. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be seen when browsing a labels.

However: I have removed the label from all the issues in the instance.

Yet the label is still seen when browsing for labels.

Is there a follow-on step that removes the label utterly from the instance?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

See if this article help - how-to-delete-labels-in-jira-applications 

Joe Zink April 24, 2020

it helps, but i had read and done that. i then guessed that i had a cache issue, and further research (stuff in Feb and Mar 2018) showed i'm probably missing three more steps: clear cache, re-index, and empty the trash. (in some, or repeated, order).

I'm not a jira maven, but i'll keep this for our jira admin to do next session.

Thanks!

Joe

Like Deleted user likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hi Jack,

I've tried removing all instances of a label (tested with a new label on one issue) and that label persists - it is always selectable.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

That article is the limit of my understanding of how to remove a label. If you do an advanced search for the label what do you see?

labels = xxxxx

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hmmm, now it seems to be done.  Maybe it was some lingering cache?

Joe Zink May 5, 2021

Oy Vey !!!

1 vote
Derek Wailes June 21, 2022

I have found that same behaviour. Its buggy.

Suggest an answer