displaying the right words relating to each group of users

Hanae alahcen June 19, 2013

hello

using this plug in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct

i turned " Project " into " Advertiser "

and " Issues " into " Campaigns '"

Now i have another business unit for wich i have to display

" Publisher " instead of " advertiser " (Project )

" Requests " instead of "campaigns "( issues )

is there a way to display for each business unit the specific words that meet their specialty ?

that would be great if i can have some reflexivity on displaying the right words relating to each group of users

thanks you,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
IshanL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

Hi,

Use different language packs, so that relavant users can select it depending on their category. You have to select only it once.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2013

You can't do this quite the way you want - the language settings are a flat "when using language X, display text Y". There's nothing to support arbitrarily changing words depending on other factors.

What you can do is create whole language packs and ask your users to swap to one that suits them. For example, an old client of mine had English, English-Trader, and English-Accounts. Traders and accounts people selected a different language so that the words displayed were more appropriate to their roles.

and the Traders always select the language everytime they connect or they only have to do it once

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

You select your preferred language once

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2013

Yes, sorry, it's a profile setting, they choose once and it persists until they change it again.

if it's sth to do once thats seems fine to me thank you all :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2013

That's what Answers is for - asking questions.

As before, Jira only has "language per user", not by group. I assume your question here is "how do I set the language for a group of users so I don't have to ask every single one of them to update their own profile"?

If so, then you can't directly - it's purely up to the user. As an admin, you can change the default, but that affects everyone (who hasn't actively chosen a language yet). You could try to do it in the database (very risky), or, I seem to remember that the Script Runner Plugin can be made to do this (and if you can use the script runner to set a user's language, then I know you can certainly say things like "for each user in group X, do this")

sorry if i'm bothering you with a lot of questions

how can i proceed to affect for each group a specific language

No problem i can do this for each user

Suggest an answer