difference between epic, label and components

hitesh kumar dewangan April 1, 2018

Hi, 

For the company size of 30-50 people and who have multiple teams and handle various area of the product. 

The product is separated into various parts which in turn forms the team. 

Each team has its own JIRA project. They maintain their own backlog and runs their own sprint.

What would be the best way to define and use, the components/labels/Versions and Epics, which could be used across projects.

please suggest 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2018

hi @hitesh kumar dewangan,

to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to share components and versions across projects (globally).  But labels can be used across the groups. 

considering your company structure; seems like you should only create one project in your Jira. If you do so; you can share components , versions and epics. 

You have to create multiple projects in Jira when you have more than one product. as you mentioned your teem members are working on different versions of the same project. in this case; i suppose you need to create only one project and allow all members to work on the same project. 

Example:

suppose you are working on a project call A. and it project A has different versions call c , d, e where each and every one of your company are allocated to work on one of the versions. in this case you have to create a project in Jira call A and create version c , d, e in the version section of project A. 

suppose in next month your company will start doing another project call B. and project B has versions call c,d,e .in this case you have to create another Jira project call project B and define versions of project B inside Project B > version section. 

as you can understand versions of project A and Project B can not be shared. it is project specific. Also there is no point of creating Jira projects per version. it is not efficient to handle projects and versions. 

for your reference.  

hope this helps :-) 

hitesh kumar dewangan April 4, 2018

Thanks for answering. 

Even though it is one product but there are different teams who are working on various other modules. We would prefer to have each as a separate project.

Do you have any suggestions in this case for the epic , components and version.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

Well I found another community question related to this. you may refer that too. 

surely my suggestion won't be a efficient one considering project management but,

• Create components with same name in all projects
  • Create version per project with same name
  • (If you have Agile tool integrated in your JIRA ) You may create a scrum board with multiple projects included. but all team members should have to have permission for each project. even though you have to create the epic in a one project . I am not sure how this going to be convenient :-(  or even possible to do. since you have to create a epic in one of your projects and create stoies, tasks inside that epic ; it eventually turns in to a one project where all of your team members work. 
  • Else create epics with same name in each project. this way you can manage the epics easily.
hitesh kumar dewangan April 4, 2018

Thanks, @Alana Fernando. It is been very useful information. 

I will try these things and let you know if it worked. I am also looking at your suggestion for agile tool and another community question

Thank you so much for the help. 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2018

any time :-) @hitesh kumar dewangan!!!

Suggest an answer