Using the same epic in multiple scrumboards?

Nikhil J May 21, 2013

Hi,

Can we use the same epic in multiple scrumboards? I've got a few scrumboards for individual scrum teams and a management scrumboard to track progress of epics from those individual scrumboards.

For some reason, I can't use the epics on management scrumboard on the individual team scrumboards. Every time we end up creating a new epic on individual team scrumboard as well as the management scrumboard but because of that we end up manually tracking the progress of epics on both the boards manually whereas in principle I'd like to have only epics on the management scrumboard and only stories/tasks relevant to those epics on the indiviual team scrumbaords. Is that possible in greenhopper? Is there a way to setup a structure like that using greenhopper? Appreciate your help!

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nikhil J May 27, 2013

Cheers Henning! Just sharing the management scrumboard with all individual team scrumboards allowed us to share the epics! Thanks!

1 vote
richard lovell January 4, 2017

This is a big limitation of JIRA and using it for Agile.  We have 20+ teams planned and this will become a major issue for us.  Why can't an EPIC be shared or unique as needed?  VesionOne and Rally can do it.

1 vote
Sheldon D'Souza September 17, 2016

I have a question on the Epic sharing across multiple Scrum boards, here is my scenario

1. I am working towards a unified backlog (Project = A) across 4 teams within the same department
  2. Each team has its own Scrum Board created based on a filter (Project = A and Component = AA / AB / AC & AD). (Sorry for complicating things here but I have created Components AA / AB / AC & AD which represent each Team besides additional Components added to each story for each code Stream and I agree this is a bit overloaded but play along with me here)
  3. There is a Management Scrum Board (with Filter "Project = A") which displays all Epics (for AA / AB / AC & AD)

Now my question is if Team AA on Scrum board for AA starts a Sprint 1 with Stories from a particular Epic and Other teams do the same too based on Stories from the same Epics or More. How will the velocity of the "Entire Team"  be determined on the Management Scrum Board (without "Starting a Sprint" on the Management Board) Or Is there a way at all to determine the overall velocity ?

Matthew Murphy July 22, 2020

I am also set up in this way.  Did you get an answer?

1 vote
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

In my opinion you only have to take care that both filters of both boards select the epics.

Henning

0 votes
Matt Peterson September 25, 2013

That works! Thanks.

The epics alone don't affect sprint behavior.

0 votes
Matt Peterson September 25, 2013

Henning, how does one share the epics via the board filters without creating the situation of both teams' sprints showing up on both boards. When this occurs not only are sprints blocked from starting, but the velocity report shows the data from both teams.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

You have to manage that through the filter of the boards. I think you can select all epics but only the stories (which have the connections to the sprints) for team A on the board for team A, if you can distinguish between them in any way.

Suggest an answer