data entry format enter 5, get #5 5 in the UI and exports

gary plymette February 18, 2015

Our admin recently updated or reinstalled our JIRA instance.  Now when a user enter a value "5" the UI and exports of data show "#5 5". Ideas on what changed?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

I assume you're talking about a field - could you explain what type of field it is?

Thanks Nic, I've seen it on the custom number type fields (like Story Points, Estimated Hours, slotid, etc.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

Ok, that's good. (Well, not good, but at least it is consistently related to number fields) I'm not sure I can work out how to replicate it though. The fact it comes out in both the UI display and the exports, assuming by "export" you mean you are using a spreadsheet or word-processing download, implies that there is some form of character replacement going on. Jira itself doesn't do that unless someone has been messing with the display templates, so the suspect becomes a Tomcat setting. First thing to check is the "modified files" section in your system information page - does that have anything that might be implicated? A file name referring to custom fields or templates? The next test I'd try is to download the raw "xml view" of an affected issue - does that contain #5 5 as well?

Couldn't find anything specific on the system info page regarding modified files on customer fields or template. The XML export contain only the correct date (in this example does not contain the #5). Bad in the UI and export to excel, word,etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2015

Hmm. Is it just 5 coming out as #5 5 too? I mean if you enter "575" do you get "#5 57#5 5"?

gary plymette February 19, 2015

Entering "575" returns in the UI as "#575 575".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2015

Ok, there's some form of substitution happening here, it's either an obscure Tomcat thing, or someone has scripted something, or they've hacked a template. I'm afraid you probably need to go back to the "modified files" and go over *anything* that has been changed. Also, are you using any language with odd characters?

Suggest an answer