custom fields and calculated custom fields

Hiten August 17, 2018

Hi All,

I am currently building a Jira project to be used as a Purchase Requisition and Purchase Order system by Finance. 

I have the work flow configured and am just working on getting the custom fields and screen set up.

I have a few questions regarding custom and calculated fields.

• is it possible for a custom field to display a value depending on what is selected on another field? E.g if Field A = 1 then Field B should = 2 ( field A would be a drop down with only a few options)
  • is it possible to create a calculated field in which the calculation is based on the value in other fields
  • is it possible to create a field in which the value is generated automatically and sequentially increased ( increasing by 1 for each issue). exactly like how the issue ref number in a project work.
  • can a field be hidden when an issue is created but when become mandatory depending on what status and transition the ticket flows.

Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

Hello,

I think you would need a plugin, which would let you create a calculated field for 2,3 and maybe 1 from your question.

And for number 4 you would need an add-on, which can work with fields in Jira UI.

There are a couple of add-ons like this.

For example,

For a custom field, you could use the Power Custom Field add-on. It is a free add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210749/power-custom-fields

For an add-on, which can work with fields in Jira forms, you could use the Power Scripts add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/43318/power-scripts-jira-script-automation

There is a feature, called Live Fields, which do exactly, what you want:

https://confluence.cprime.io/display/JJUPIN/Live+Fields

If you need more details, kindly ask.

Andrews September 3, 2020

Hi @Alexey Matveev_cPrime_

I want to display sum of two number fields to third number field.

ex: 1 Support Count CRM(2.0) = 510

2 Support Count CRM(Old) = 10

3 Support Count CRM(New) = 4

Calculate the sum of 2 custom fields (2+3) to the third custom field (1)

• 1= 2+3 
  • 510 = 10+4
2 votes
Answer accepted
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

HI @Hiten

I would say yes you can achieve all of the below points..

is it possible for a custom field to display a value depending on what is selected on another field? E.g if Field A = 1 then Field B should = 2 ( field A would be a drop down with only a few options)

Yes, you can be using cascading single select custom field or you need to work custom developed script.

is it possible to create a calculated field in which the calculation is based on the value in other fields

Yes, you need to fetch the values of the other fields and based on doing the calculation using the script and then you can set the calculations to another field let say Number/Text custom field.

is it possible to create a field in which the value is generated automatically and sequentially increased ( increasing by 1 for each issue). exactly like how the issue ref number in a project work.

Yes, you can but here you need to store this value to the hidden custom field and then every time whenever issue will create then fetch this value and increased by one.

can a field be hidden when an issue is created but when become mandatory depending on what status and transition the ticket flows.

Yes, but the field can be made hidden/mandatory based on Issue type not based on status.

you can make the specific field mandatory on transition as well.

Suggest an answer