create button on issue page to run remote script

Jeff Campbell November 13, 2020

I have searched and searched but can’t find exactly what I need for info. We use Jira cloud and would like to know if there is a way to put a button(or link in a pulldown) on all issue screens that when clicked would run a script on our local server and create a directory with patterned URL . For example if we are viewing issue B40-125 and we click this button(probably called create directory) it will fire a script that creates a directory in  say local/server/B40/125. We want this because many times we will put scripts in this directory that can be run right from the directory itself.

Is this possible to do? we will soon use jira service desk as well, should we put the same button in there as well? if so, what screen makes sense to put it on?

Thank you,

Jeff

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

@Jeff Campbell ,

I highly doubt that is possible. You would be running a script to access a local resources from a Cloud instance.

That might be a security for Risk and I doubt your browser will even allow it.

Just thinking out of the box I might think about an Automation that triggers a webservice (through a webhook) which then runs your script?

How you trigger it could be to make it a manual trigger in the automation or by changing a custom field..

Jeff Campbell November 13, 2020

I was just reading about webhooks for jira service desk. What I have read so far is still confusing to me.

When you say web services what would those possibilities be? Any place you could point me to learn would be helpful. It would be nice if this could be triggered manually because we do not always need to create a directory for an issue.

Jeff Campbell November 17, 2020

We are going to research this idea to see what we can figure out, it looks promising if we can get past security concerns and figure out how to run it through a web service.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events