can i order items in an epic

scott buratt April 4, 2016

I'd like to order items (tasks) within an epic that would then convey "flow". Currently, these are ordered by their creation with a project.

Is there a way to define the order of tasks within an epic?

Thanks

7 answers

0 votes
timmy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Tim is testing #3 after refresh

0 votes
timmy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2020

Tim is testing #2

timmy
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2020

Tim will leave this open until tomorrow, I'll be back

0 votes
timmy
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2020

Tim is testing, too

0 votes
Hugo July 20, 2020

(test)

0 votes
Hugo July 20, 2020

(test)

0 votes
Hugo July 20, 2020

You can change the order of the issues by selecting the epic and dragging/dropping the sub items in the right panel.

It is also possible to reorder the issues in the backlog (you can also show all the epics and filter by them when selecting "Epic Panel" in the "Epic" filter).

Michiel Bontenbal April 23, 2021

Hi, when I open the Epic I do not see issues in the right panel, but in the center panel. Do we need to configure the right panel first? Thank you.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

I assume you are using either JIRA software 7.X or JIRA Agile for earlier versions. One way of seeing your flow is to use the ranking field that the backlog uses for managing which items are considered higher priority. So adding ORDER BY rank should show you the priority flow.

If you want to use some other order then you will need to somehow store the sort order within the issue. 

scott buratt April 5, 2016

Thanks Phil,

So, reordering within the backlog ended up with the right results. I am now seeing, from within the Epic, the tasks lined up in my (required) order.

Big help!

Thanks,

Scott

Suggest an answer