bar charts based on linked issues

Stefan Vahlgren June 11, 2014

Hello.

I have tried to find a very fundamental function regarding to show statistics for our JIRA issues. After going through the entire marketplace for the JIRA gadgets I failed to find someone that can do this:

I want to show a specific number of bars , or all bars that fits in a specific timeframe at the X axis in a diagram. The bar diagram should be based on a search filter, that gives the following fields:

Linked issue, Date, and Status (custom field)

The Linked issue field should be the field that ties the statistics together to a bar, and the Status should color the bar. So for instance if I have the following filter search:

Linked issue, Date, and Status

1, 140612, Passed

1, 140612, Failed

2, 140612, Passed

3, 140611, Failed

This search response should generate 3 bars (since there are 3 linked issue types 1,2 and 3). 2 of those bars (related to linked issue 2, and 3) should have height 1 and be colored red for the Failed status and Green for the Passed status. The third bar (related to linked issue 1) should have height 2 and half should be green and the other half red, since there are 2 responses linked to the same linked issue.

The closes I get to what I want to achieve is with the gadget Arsenale Dataplane, with the "Current Issue Values" report. But the problem is that this gadget can't use Linked Issue as the parameter key used to tie responses together to a bar.

I've also tried to install the Bar charts for JIRA, but there is a problem regarding certificates since we are using https, that seems unsolvable.

Can someone suggest some other gadget that does the thing I want to achieve?

Regards Stefan

4 answers

0 votes
Stefan Vahlgren June 24, 2014

Hi again.

I have had a mail correspondence with Arsenale Support team and here comes a summary.

I had to do a JIRA reindex in order to get the chart in the correct way. After the reindex, recreate the Current Issues Value report again in the gadget, and then push the blue "Run Report" button from the report Configuration page. The chart is showing one bar for each unique Parent Test value that the Search critera in the report gives. The bars are showing correct height with correct colors mapped to the Statuses. After the reindex the chart stays correctly and gets updated when for example more issues are added (which is found by the report Search critera), without another reindex.

A side note to this is that it is not functional to use ORDER BY in the search critera, since this report will order the bars according to the number of issues in the bar. Since I want to show trends over time, I need to order the bars by for example Created Date field. Arsenale is saying that support for more customizable ordering which would enable this is probably added in an upcoming release.

0 votes
Stefan Vahlgren June 17, 2014

Thanks for the extensive description. I'm almost there now, but the chart is'nt showing correctly. I followied your description exactly. I have got the Parent Test field as a column in the answer of the jql, like this:

Status Key(Child) Parent Test
Failed AUTO-131 AUTO-127
Passed AUTO-129 AUTO-127
Failed AUTO-126 AUTO-122
Passed AUTO-124 AUTO-122
Passed AUTO-119 AUTO-117

total of 18 hits

However, my chart looks like this:

Curent Issue Values

For segment by I am using Status field, and for Value Of I am using Parent test, like in your example above.
I expect to have multiple bars, where one of them is for the Parent Test AUTO-127 with height 2 (since there are two linked issue to that issue), coloered half blue and half red.

I have Arsenal Dataplane version 1.8

Stefan Vahlgren June 17, 2014

It seeems that the picture is'nt working for some reason. Anyhow, the chart looks is just containing one bar, with height 18. At the Y axis (named Parent test) the value is "None"

Scott Dudley [Inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Stefan,

To figure out what is going on, I would also try temporarily adding a segmentation of "Issue" to the configuration to see if the issues represented in the chart are the ones that you expect. If the issues are correct, then it looks like it might be an issue related to the JIRA indexing.

Thanks!

Stefan Vahlgren June 25, 2014

Hi again.

I have had a mail correspondence with Arsenale Support team and here comes a summary.

I had to do a JIRA reindex in order to get the chart in the correct way. After the reindex, recreate the Current Issues Value report again in the gadget, and then push the blue "Run Report" button from the report Configuration page. The chart is showing one bar for each unique Parent Test value that the Search critera in the report gives. The bars are showing correct height with correct colors mapped to the Statuses. After the reindex the chart stays correctly and gets updated when for example more issues are added (which is found by the report Search critera), without another reindex.

A side note to this is that it is not functional to use ORDER BY in the search critera, since this report will order the bars according to the number of issues in the bar. Since I want to show trends over time, I need to order the bars by for example Created Date field. Arsenale is saying that support for more customizable ordering which would enable this is probably added in an upcoming release.

0 votes
Stefan Vahlgren June 12, 2014

Hi Scott and thanks for quick response.

The Linked issue in my case is a Jira native issue link, which is found under "Issue Links" if you view the issue. the value for Linked issues in a issue filter search is shown under column Links

So in my example in my original post, there are two issues that link to the the same issue with issue key 1

Stefan Vahlgren June 12, 2014

Sorry, I forgot to answer all your questions in your answer.

So the Linked issue is what is sounds like. The issue that is linked from the issue sound in the search result.

1,2,3 is issue keys. Actually the look like STRING-1, but only wrote 1 to simplify

Status is a custom field that is set in all 4 issues in the search response, to either "Passed" or "Failed"

Date is the Created field, with value as a date when the issue was created.

0 votes
Scott Dudley [Inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2014

Hi Stefan,

Can you explain what "Linked issue" represents in your example? Is this a custom field? A specific type of issue link to another issue (or set of issues)? Or something else?

Do the "1", "2" and "3" refer to issue types (like you suggested at one point above), or to actual issue IDs, or something else?

Also, where does the "Status" come from? I understand it is a custom field, but if you are linking issues, from which issue?

Lastly, what dates does the "Date" column represent?

If you explain where that data comes from, I will be happy to suggest how to make the appropriate fields or values available in the appropriate place in Dataplane.

Suggest an answer