add resolution screen to service desk

This system is a godawful nightmare.

I have spent the entire morning trying to do one simple thing in JIRA Service desk:   Stop the Resolution from automatically being set when an agent enters a ticket.   I figured out that I have to remove the Resolution field from the Edit screen, but now I'm trying to add a Resolution screen for agents to be able to resolve the tickets.   I am lost in a sea of screen edits, workflows, field edits, etc., and I can't make any changes for fear that I'm going to change everything for the existing other (developer) projects.   Can anyone help me with what should be a trivial issue?

1 answer

0 votes

I usually open up the workflow for the issues as a diagram and look at the colours.

Draw a circle around all the status that are "done" - these are usually shown in green (they're things like ended, done, resolved, complete, cancelled - all "we're doing nothing more with this issue" type status).

For any transition arrow that leaves the circle, put a post-function on it for "clear resolution" (set issue field is the name of the post-function)

For any transition arrow that enters the circle, you either need a post-function to set the resolution for the user (handy if you have a transition like "resolve as a duplicate"), OR you need to ensure that the transition screen is a screen with the resolution on it.

I like to keep things quite simple, and have a clear "resolve issue" screen which has nothing other than resolution on it to begin with.  Once I've got it right for a couple of workflows, I'll happily make copies of it so I can add fix version, assignee, rca, etc.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,831 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot