Write Workflow transition condition based on the status of a linked ticket

Brandon Cole September 10, 2015

Here's what is going on:
I have Projects A & B
I have Issues A-1 & B-1
Issue A-1 "Contains" (link) issue B-1

I want to put a condition on my "Begin Work" Transition on B-1 so that it is only available when A-1 is in the status "Approved for Work".

The important points of the condition are:
The Link type has to be "Contains"(Parent)/"Contained by"(Child).
The parent issue has to be in Project A (being linked to an issue in Project B, C, or D doesn't fulfill the condition).
The status of the Parent has to be "Approved for Work". If the Parent issue is in another status then the condition isn't fulfilled.

For the sake of simplicity, I figured it would be best to make these into individual conditions all layered together but maybe I am over-complicating this.

I downloaded Script Runner, but I can't seem to find the fieldnames for linked issues or the status of a linked issue.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2015

Hi Brandon,

I have posted at JIRA Workflow Toolbox Help Forum the way to implement your use case using JIRA Workflow Toolbox.

Best Regards,

Fidel Castro Armario

0 votes
Brandon Cole September 15, 2015

Thank you for your help @David [Innovalog] & @Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]. I will check out Workflow Toolbox. It looks like it has a free trial so no harm in the attempt. PS. When I look up script runner in the Find new add-ons section of JIRA it still says it is Free.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

Woops, sorry David, I got mixed up. Thanks for the note and the tip about Script Runner. The add-on I meant (now that I look more closely) is Workflow Toolbox. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2015

Unfortunately, JMWE does not provide such a Condition (at least not at this time). And by the way, Script Runner is no longer free (and actually very expensive).

0 votes
Brandon Cole September 14, 2015

I picked ScriptRunner for 2 reasons: 1) In other related/similar posts ScriptRunner was pointed out for the job & seemed to be able to do what I needed. 2) Simple economics. Script Runner is free. However, reason 1 is the real reason. Everything I've read on here leads me to believe that I should be able to do this with ScriptRunner.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2015

Linked issues and statuses of linked issues aren't fields. Is there a reason you're targeting Script Runner for this? I believe you can use that add-on but Misc Workflow Extensions has a Condition for Linked issues, where you can configure all this.

Suggest an answer