Working with Jirashell

Nadezhda Hristova March 31, 2023

Dear Atlassian Community,

Soon I will need to work with Jirashell to explore some API components, but first I want to know do I need any specific script runner and, in particular, Python, so I can download and install the shell, or the regular cmd and PowerShell, on Windows, will do the work? I tried running the scripts through Linux OS but I did not have much success..

Can you share with me some helpful advice? I would be very grateful!

Regards,
Nadezhda

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi Nadezhda,

The "Jirashell" I've done a little bit with in the past is a Python library, so yes, you would be working in Python when coding with it.  You don't need anything else - the library helps you write Python scripts that talk to Jira over its REST API.

Nadezhda Hristova April 2, 2023

Thank you Nic!

Should I download any specific Python? The current I have is Python 3.10 (64-bit) but when calling "pip install jira" it seems that it does not recognize the command, so I start to think that I do not have the right tool.

Cheers,
Nadya

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Any version your version of Jirashell works with will be fine.

Jira does not have a pip install, Jira is a service that you download and run on your servers, or sign up for a Cloud install where Atlassian will run it for you.

The Jirashell I've used is a utility that helps me (code for) talking to remote Jira services.

Nadezhda Hristova April 3, 2023

Oh, so I got it all wrong. Well, that is a clearance, thank you so much Nic!

Since we are on Cloud, where do I sign up for it to get it running or just kindly ask the support for this?

Regards,
Nadya

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

If you have not got a Jira Cloud system already, start with a trial at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Nadezhda Hristova April 4, 2023

Alright, it seems we misunderstood each other. Let me try again:

What instrument/software did you use to run the scripts and codes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

The "Jirashell" I've done a little bit with in the past is a Python library, so yes, you would be working in Python when coding with it.  You don't need anything else - the library helps you write Python scripts that talk to Jira over its REST API.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events